Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Hi from Northern California

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Clipperofwiings 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Picked up an ‘03 Vstar 1100 classic about a month ago for a good deal on Craigslist (quarantine score.) Since then, I’ve been searching these forums daily for info and ideas, I really can’t say enough how helpful you’ve all been. I figured why not join myself and share some progress over time with my new obsession.

Picked her up completely stock, broken headlight, broken turn signal, speedo face smashed for some reason... some fried electrical. I picked up a new speedo gauge on eBay with similar miles on it, grabbed a cheap headlight bulb with lens, turn signal lens, new headlight pigtail and got her legal.. Ok, I got some rides in with no lights/ speedo at first, that speed in 4th is deceiving no?

I’m removing lots of stock parts, switching stock bars and risers to 12” apes and 4”risers with a 1.5” pullback, off eBay. Pulled front fender and rear fender, about to cut off the rear fender backbone as I have a rear fender kit in the mail. So new seat obviously too. Sissy bar etc. Ditched the bags, Windshield, passenger seat. Gonna end up with a sporty type tank on it, wow that backbone is frickin HUGE.

I’ll have lots of stock parts to let go of for sale or trade but I’m sure there’s an appropriate place for that topic on here that isn’t the new members thread.

Anyway I’m excited to be a part of this forum and thanks for having me. Ok back to the garage cuz my headlight casing is missing the clip to secure the bulb to the housing ...

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Are you talking about this clip that's missing?

It's hard to find to buy, comes as part of headlight ring. It's only to keep pressure on headlight to keep from vibrating. A small piece of rubber tubing, like washer fluid tubing from car, will do the same thing. Yes I've lost them before. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt.

Ride often and safe.

#5 ·
Good find, when I looked a few years ago everyone was out of stock.

#7 ·
Wow you guys are great, thanks for the info.
Les, that’s exactly the part I was talking about, and Hyde thanks again for the link, I’ll make some hose work for now while I wait for the part to ship, why not it’s nice and inexpensive.
Will be spending some more time cruising though those threads you linked, thanks again

#15 ·
I used to be active on a music forum that kinda lost traction and disbanded a few years ago, and really appreciated the sense of community that along with being a part of the forum. It feels similar on here and having helpful people who are far more knowledgeable than I am is invaluable!

#16 ·
you have a very reliable bike there

if you ditch the stock fuel tank you are going to miss the 200+ mile range with something smaller

its nice to be able to ride 4 or 5 hours on secondary roads and never have to think about finding a gas station

one of the deep dark secrets of these bike, feel inside the tool compartment opposite the battery cover, see if the factory tool kit with rear monoshock spanner is still in there, snapped into the bottom

most people dont know its there

Reactions: Keith Post
#17 ·
I didn’t realize it was there at first, until I read on another thread on here that it existed. Tool kit was in there still, and the original owner had stashed the original registration in there so that was a cool find for sure.

I appreciate the advice on the tank, and I agree the stock tank is more practical. I gave this some thought and am leaning towards the peanut type tank still. Almost everything I put time/money into is practical, and I want this bike to just be a fun project, I may leave some practicality aside on this one. Who knows though, one thing at a time right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.