Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daughter and I are about to place an order for two new 2015 V-Star's. She has no riding experience, and it has been 30 years since I last rode! We checked out the 250's last week, and my daughter fell in love at first sight, (she's 5'4", 135 lbs.) and I was surprised to discover that the lowly 250 seemed to fit me quite well too. (I'm 5'8", 168 lbs.) Neither of us plan to do any freeway riding; rather we would be only on quiet country roads near our island home, with a few afternoon backroad ventures on the mainland, so I don't really believe that I would feel the need to upgrade to a larger bike any time soon.

I have, however, just discovered that for a mere $2,000 more, I can get a 2015 650 Custom, so now I'm a bit torn on how to proceed. I know that most folks here might be quick to bash the 250, but keep in mind that I am not a very big guy, and also have no real need to ever go much above 100 kph. (and no long distance traveling) The speed limits here are 60 and 80 km/hour.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, particularly if you have experience on both of these bikes. I would not mind paying a couple grand more for the 650, but I'm not really convinced that the 250 would not fit my requirements just fine.

I look forward to becoming an active contributing member of this fine forum, and hope to hear back from you, regarding your thoughts on both the 250, and 650 Custom.

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glen. I'm just a little west of you on the mainland. I've ridden both and I would have to say that the 650 would be a better match for both of you. The 250 is one spunky little machine but torques out at about the speeds you want to go at. In any case, ask your questions in the vstar forum and see what the others have to say. I look forward to reading your numerous posts, seeing the pics of your bikes and reading your bbq cod recipes.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum from here in Northwest Illinois. Glad to have you on board and look forward to reasing your posts and seeing pics of the 250's when you get them. Post often and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. 250's are great little bikes, having learned on one, I have a special fondness for them. That being said, I am much more a fan of my larger bike even at moderate speed (Parking lots will always be better with the little bike). I would highly recommend taking them both out for a spin, I imagine the 650 will just feel more solid underneath you. Like you said, the 250 will "meet your requirements" just fine. Another consideration is if you plan to do any additional customization. i have not looked but I would hazard a guess there are more 650 mods and shiny bits than 250's. Good luck on your decision. I look forward to seeing which way you two go!

·
Super Moderator
13,112 Posts
howdy. i learned to ride on a honda rebel 250. they can be fun bikes at lower speeds, and should have no problem getting up to 60mph. depending on the type of roads and riding you'll be doing, the 250 will probably be enough for you. i think the main question is which do you see yourself having more fun on?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for all of the warm welcomes; very much appreciated! I'm still trying to decide whether to order the 2015 V-Star 650 Custom for myself, or to get a new 250, same as my daughter's. I have discovered that the dealerships are pretty good at providing false info/numbers. Frustrating.

Glen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts