Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Montreal. I don't have a star yet but I'm seriously considering it. I have an 82 Maxim650 and a 69-79 HD XLCH and I'm getting a bit old to keep kicking that sportster. So, I'm going to see if I can find an 1100 Star for a good price.
I'll be looking for an older Star. If anyone has suggestions about what to watch out for, I'd appreciate your input.
thanks,
MC

·
Registered
923 Posts
After you read more about my story you'll understand my response.

Look out for previous owners who do work to the bike and then give you responses like, "well I'm not a mechanic".

With that being said, of all the research I've done and all the fine people on this forum, these bikes are rock solid. There are a few mechanical folks that should be along shortly to let you know of any known issues.

With that lengthy response, welcome to the forum and you've picked a great bike!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome to the greatest forum on the net, with the most sane group of people you'll ever meet.:confused:;):D

If you're looking for an 1100, you can't beat it. Things to watch for? Make sure it has gas in it, that's important. You'll go through a lot of it.:)

And watch out for the advice of some "people" on this forum.:eek: Some will recommend blue. Others might give you some suggestions on something like "blackcherry". Yet others may say black, especially on an 1100, is best (be cautious of advice from Jarheads:D). The best advice is a combination of red and black.

Again welcome, and best of luck in your search.:)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the clan. As Jarhead said, there's a bunch of great people here and we are willing to help. My 1100 is in great shape and they are a rock solid ride. A few questions you may consider asking are, Do you have the maintenance history? Have you had a minor/major accident with it? What modification have you done? If the bike has after market pipes ask if the carbs have been re-jetted. As I am a mechanic I always do a complete fluid change on all systems just to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. Ask who has done the maintenance on the bike if the maint records aren't available.

Hope these help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thanks for the nice Welcomes and for your advice. I think the hardest part for me will be keeping my hands off of it. I'm so used to fixing things on that old Ironhead of mine that it'll take some getting used to for me to just ride worry free for a change.

I'll post a pic when I find the beast.
thanks again,
MC

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hope you find a good one. I'm happy with the 10,000+ trouble free miles i've put on my 1100.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard good luck on the search I bought new because I didn't want someone elses problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Before Friday last week I would have said "rock solid bike the 1100, buy with confidence, best thing I ever did" now I will say make sure your bike is a good starter and watch out for the starter clutch one-way assembly. If it sounds like it is struggling to turn over run away from it as fast as you can. I suppose there is one bad apple in every barrel though as until now I have had no problems at all.
Yamaha starters are all cack anyway:D.
Have a look at V Star 1100 forum on here and you will see there are very few problems in general with them.

Enjoy your shopping oh by the way Welcome to the forum.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome aboard

My wife and I decided to find me another bike and we decided on a 1100 V Star so away we went, we looked in the paper, on Craig’s List and found a bunch for sale, we started calling and looking, it’s kind of funny, the very first bike we looked at grabbed our attention like you can’t believe, it had that hey look at me I have been owned by one person and well taken care of, never been down and not to mention has had a lot of aftermarket work done (by the dealer even) we looked at a couple more after that BUT the very next morning on my way to work I called the guy and told him I would take it, I didn’t even tell the wife I did that, that night after looking at another one she said we should go buy the first one and she hoped he still had it, I smiled and said I’m pretty sure he does.

Good luck with the search, you will find the perfect one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent info about the starter, thanks. I poseted a question in the 1100 forum asking about any issues to watch out for and a couple of folks mentioned the same thing. (I guess that's cross-posting, sorry).
Someone also mentioned a fix that was released from the factory. I'm going to look into that. I wonder if the starter issue is something I can fix myself. In fact, I wonder how much engine work I'll be able to do myself on a Star. My Ironhead is such a basic machine that I can strip the tranny or remove the top-end without even removing the engine from the frame.
But the Star looks like a complex machine.
Thanks again for the tips. I'll keep an ear out for starter issues.
MC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts