Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I鈥檓 Sophie. I live in New Brunswick Canada. I have a gorgeous 2002 vstar 1100. Her name is Victoria. I got the bike after someone who was like my brother passed away. It was his bike. Got my license and have put over 3,000 km on her this year. Here she is after a quick paint job 馃檪

Attachments

Super Moderator "Loose Nut"

Welcome from the Moncton area, Sophie. Sorry to hear about your friend but I'm sure he'd be happy that you're enjoying his bike. I have an 1100 as well and I learned a lot about it from this forum. Great bunch of knowledgeable, friendly people here who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the welcome 馃檪 and I鈥檓 in the Moncton area as well! I think I saw that bike in one of our cruise night at the Canadian tire lot. Gorgeous bike!

Registered
I like that.

Tell us more about this 'quick paint job'.

I am pretty good at painting things with Rustolium. I just got a 2000 Royal Star, its black and its looks great

but I know black is one of the least visible colors on the road... Im thinking orange or yellow.. but not if its going to cost me $1000 to get it painted.

Registered
It would be good if all riders were a bit more female

in general...

Premium Member
Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands, SophieD452, and great looking bike too!

Kind regards, Wim

Thank you everyone for the welcome 馃檪 and I鈥檓 in the Moncton area as well! I think I saw that bike in one of our cruise night at the Canadian tire lot. Gorgeous bike!
Thanks! Wasn't me, but I'd be interested in taking part sometime. I have seen another one like it around town.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Dad and i actually paint our muscle cars (he has a 75 mgb, me a 70 javelin and hubby has a 80 camaro) and now I have my bike. We also paint and work on our daily drivers. We buy our paint at Sherwin Williams and paint them. They鈥檙e not perfect but it鈥檚 respectable for a home paint job.

Registered
I tried using a paint gun and compressor on a 74 bug once - there is so much involved, you cant just prep a car and spray it - it takes a lot of practice just to lay the paint down as good as a spray can. And you need a booth, and air blowers, and filters, and a full mask and body suit...

I figure if I paint something myself it doesnt have to be perfect, it just has to be better than it was. Or maybe I should say I just have to like it after I paint it more than I did before.

Even using an airbrush for smaller things (like bicycle frames and motorcycle fenders, tanks...) is not a bad way to go.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Indeed you are right. I assisted dad with many paint jobs before I took the gun. We have a nice set up all in all. We paint in the same garage we work in. So it takes about 8 hours to d茅sinfect to reduce the dust and stuff we get in the paint. Every step is as important . As for laying the paint it鈥檚 all in a steady wrist. Considering the shape of most of the v茅hicule before we start they come out much nicer. Below is a picture from a photo session in August. The only thing missing in my bike

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts