Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum.

A little history on me: I have raced and rode dirt bikes for well over 20 years. When I hit 42yrs, the dirt samples were really starting to take a toll on my body. Dont heal like I used to. With that said, I hung up my helmet and sold my bike, a 2007 Kawasaki 250F. For two years I was lost. My dirt bike was my escape from the world.
I purchased a 2003 Star Warrior as my first street bike. After the first ride, I was glad I went for nothing less. Great bike. Then the final drive spline stripped and parts were back-ordered. There was no way I was sitting out the rest of the season, so I bit the bullet and bought a brand new 2012 Raider. No regrets. And I am a small dude, only 140lbs. Not a problem. So far, I have turned every wrench and bolt on the bike including all servicing. I am coming up on 25,000KM, so it will have to see a shop for that.

The 2012 Star Raider. Great bike and WILL hang with most any Harley. Well, any SE 120R that I have come across so far. I am keeping the stock look as a sleeper. The only mods I have done so far is V&H Big Radius 2-1 exhaust, Baron Big Air Kit, and the Cobra Fi2000 digital fuel processor. Not sure what torque and HP it is putting out and dont really care. It will never see a dyno. In my opinion, that is one of the worst things you can do to an engine. Dynos are best left for development, not tuning, so I leave that for the Harley guys. I just go by what my bike puts out compared to others.
SE 120R engines purportedly make 130-140 HP, I did see a dyno report for one. If that is the case, then my Raider with the mods I did, must be close. I dont care either way. My dick is big enough I dont worry about such petty details. And my bike has more than enough power.
What the Raider does have over any Harley(short of the Night Rod), is handling. That is where the other get left behind. I have yet to come across a Harley that can stay with me in technical riding. Ya, a Harley will go real fast in a straight line, but try and corner it at speed. Good-bye.
Here is a funny thing I have noticed since buying the Raider. When stopped somewhere for a smoke or beer, Harley guys come almost running up to have a look. As soon as they see the Yamaha logo, they quickly turn around and walk away with a reply of "oh, I was just seeing what you have for pipes". Sure dude.
Dont get me wrong. I am not a Harley hater. To the contrary. Harley builds some beautiful bikes. But certainly not worth the cost. You are paying for a name brand. Jap bikes (Star anyways) have superior engineering and fit and finish. I hate to say it, but it is a fact.

A reason for me joining this forum is to find out if the Raider has a OBD II connection or similar. I have a prototype mini-pc in the works to act as an onboard PC. Mainly to display engine parimeters such as RPM, oil press and temp, and engine temp. Still trying to source an all-weather 7" LCD touch screen. I find it hard to believe a tachometer was not included with this great bike.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum X. Very informative intro, and your bike is a real looker. I like your confidence and honesty. I also am not a Harley hater, however in my area a sizeable amount of harley riders are rather arrogant and have twice the amount of money in their bikes and HD clothing. Granted they can build some great looking bikes, however I love my yammy and the extra money I save by owning one. Ride safe and post often!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow. Yeah, agreed, nice looker. Welcome- stick around after your one question (don't have answer for you on this one, but I'm sure someone does) and keep asking. Lots of people with smarts here.

--KNic Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
2012 V-Star 950T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts