Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been gone a few years,had to get rid of my Silverado when my wife passed away from cancer,got an 82 Goldwing Aspencade but it's in pieces in the garage and just to old to work on it anymore(deteriorating arthritis in my back).
but I'm back,just bought a 02' 1100 Drag Star,though I got slightly screwed,running straight pipes,need to find mufflers,started back firing on the way home and dies at idle,so about a month till I'm riding here in So.Cal again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome back, and clean looking 1100 you have there. Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Since you're in socal you have some great riding weather. Enjoy it, and ride safely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,397 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Carbs are easy to jet tobfix the popping. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, when I bought it,I started to check the gas level,the guy told me it had half a tank so I didn't look,opened it yesterday and looks like its coated with rust,have some sea foam so as soon as I get the reg. and insurance I'm going to run it with the sea foam and hope I don't need a carb rebuild. Will have them rebuilt later but dont have the money at the moment.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,397 Posts
I had rust in mine, really bad. So bad the bike would not run. Did a lot of research and used following fix. Empty all gas from tank. Pull tank. Fill with cider vinegar, totally, a few dollar a gallon at grocery store. Let set at least overnight, longer if you can. Empty cider. Very important not to let sit empty as will rerust quickly. Rinse tank like crazy, I used the gas I had drained out of tank. Make sure and be careful if you use the gas rinse method. I took the petcock off and cleaned. Bought new fuel filter from auto parts store, under $5. Cleaned carbs, most of the time the rubber gaskets can be reused, I turned my gaskets over. Cleaned jets with small piece of wire, bread twisty work good. Use brake cleaner, $4, to spray jets out and make sure they are clean. The total cost of project was under $25. This was several years ago and no issues since then. I do run a fuel cleaner about every 6 months to prevent future issues. I commute daily about 120 miles round trip and average over 12k miles a year. Have done all maintenance myself and always on a budget. If you need any other help let me know as I know I properly left something out. Here's a great link for V* info, https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Gas tank before

After cleaning

Rust out of fuel filter

Rust in carb bowl

New filter in place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts