Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new rider, I'm getting lots of tips and advice from anyone who's ever seen a motorcycle. One of them was regarding high beams. Someone told me to ride with high beams on during the day to be more noticeable and to only use low beams when around other vehicles at night.

I've been following that advice with no more ill effects than occasionally getting beams flashed at me from "helpful" motorists.

What do you more experienced riders think?

·
Registered
545 Posts
High beams at all times.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I was riding my sportbike, I'd ride with high beams on during the day. With my VStar, if I turn on my highs, the passing light turns off so I just leave them on low. Would rather have 3 lights and 1 high.

·
Registered
240 Posts
High beams in daylight shouldn't bother oncoming drivers anyway as your pupils aren't as open. I once had someone flash their lights at me to dip my high beams, I gave them the finger.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
On the Stratoliners and Roadliners, the high beam isn't as noticeable than the low beam because the high beam lens is quite small. So I use just the low all the time. I have though added LED daytime running lights and made my amber parking/turn lights brighter by added led's. My batwing fairing has done an awesome job of making me more noticeable too!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'll be the dissenting voice on this one. I spend too much time in traffic and I generally choose lane positions that put my headlight right in the rear view mirror of other cars to help make sure they see me. Doing this with the high beams on would be more than a little rude.

However, I have the passing lamps on at all times and I always turn on the high beam if it's near dawn or dusk and the sun is at my back.

·
Registered
794 Posts
High beams always during the day.

Low at night in traffic or high with empty roads.

(installing riding lamps on my engine guard soon so that may change...)

The more visible you are the better!

·
Registered
133 Posts
headlight modulators with the added harness.[/QUOTE said:
I wouldn't call myself experienced...I've been riding my first bike for about a week and a half haha but the bike came with a modulator already installed. In the past week and a half I have had about 6 "cage" drivers stick there heads out of their cage and tell me my light is flashing. I smile at them and say, "I'm glad you noticed!" :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
My low beam burned out, so I rode around with my high beam for at least a month until I got aroudn to replacing it.

You could be riding with a 30' flag pole carrying a 6'x12' black flag with skull and cross bones on it, and there's idiots who still won't see you. Just assume that no one will see you, ever, it's the best way to survive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just assume that no one will see you, ever, it's the best way to survive.
Agreed. Especially when riding alone - I always move in my lane when approaching an intersection where a cage is waiting. Swerve ever so slightly from side to side. I like to think it might catch their eye (especially when I swerve in their direction). :eek:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts