Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Just back into motorcycling after a two-year hiatus following a nasty spill. Purchased a 2004 VStar 1100 with 33K on it and brought it home on Friday night on a trailer. Still nervous about getting back on, going to take it slow.

Anyway, my father has been on motorcycles for over 50 years. He was questioning my decision to by an air-cooled V-twin. He said the rear cylinder doesn't get cooled enough without coolant and a radiator, like the Suzukis or bigger Yamahas.

So, I would like the high mileage 1100 owners to chime in here and help dispute this claim of his about the big air-cooled twin. So, please share your mileage, submit a pic of your odometer if so desired. Also, any problems you may have had with your bike as the odometer rolled up to its current place.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well, he'd better tell the couple dozen riders I know with close to or over 150,000 miles that their 1100's aren't going to last very long. That doesn't count the countless others over 40,000 still going strong. A radiator on a V Twin should be considered a sin.....lol.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think it's pretty safe to say that between all the manufacturers and probably even yami, there are far, far more air cooled v-twins out there than water cooled. I have only owned my 1100 since April but everyone I have run across, no matter what brand he was riding, told me that these 1100s are bulletproof and will last forever. Ride it and enjoy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had over 55K on mine and have thru Vegas at 120degs and never had any problems, I gave the 1100 to my boy and I ride a 1900cc air cooled v twin now and still no problems at over 50K on it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I had over 55K on mine and have thru Vegas at 120degs and never had any problems, I gave the 1100 to my boy and I ride a 1900cc air cooled v twin now and still no problems at over 50K on it.
Yeah...I ride year around in Arizona....115+ degrees on the cool days and have never had an overheating issue. I do see an occasional Harley on the side of the road, but still manage to see a few more liquid cooled bikes with issues in those temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts