Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently ride a 2000 vstar 650 with about 25,000 miles. It is still in great shape and gets good fuel milege. i recently read a thred that indicated a 650 star with 30,000 to 35,000 miles was just about washed up. is this the same thinking with the rest of the star line? i am considering buying a 950 tourer but am having second thoughts if these cycles only will get about 40,000 miles before replacement. any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was the one that posted that the Bikes usually need some replacement parts by the time they hit 30 to 35k, and its normally confined to cam chain tensioner's and tensioner bars. or starter and relay problems, tires. cables, etc etc.

They are not junk and they do not need to be completely replaced, it all depends on how hard you ride and how well you maintain your bike.

It's just part of the maintenance, parts need replacement if the engine is run hard or at constant high Rpms, this doesn't mean the engine is junk.

Think about this for a moment, an engine that uses cam chains with spring loaded tensioners, means that these tensioners are constantly under friction and they usually wear from the cam chains constantly sliding against the tensioner bars.

Again it all depends on how you treat your bike and on how you maintain it.

I have owned several Yamaha's, seven of them to be exact.
My first three bikes I rode quite hard and at high Rpms from long distance highway use, burnouts, wheelies, etc etc; the result was I needed to replace the parts that wear out the quickest, and it was the cam chain tensioner assemblies that usually go first.

If you treat your bike well and follow the maintenance schedule you can go much farther on mileage before things need replacement.

IF I thought this was a serious Issue I would not have gone out and bought another Yamaha, and I would have opted for a Harley that uses push rods.

bottom line is, If you beat on anything you will be making repairs more frequently than if you don't.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmill1220 thanks for the info. i really enjoy my 650 star but would like to move up to the 950. i do not hot rod it when riding - i enjoy the ride

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 silverado 1100 w/57k miles. Wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. No major problems, only maintenance items. Just put new tires/brakes and ready for another ride...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks, new here but not new to Yamaha V engines.

Living in Aussie means usually long hauls. I've knocked up 10k on my 07 Classic in just 5 months, purchased it S/H when the Odometer read 9.5k (overall that's about 16,000 miles). Absolutely no issues what so ever, except some silt getting stuck in the carb float chamber from bad fuel.

Lots of my mates have Viragos and VStars. One has a Virago 1100 that is well into the second round on the speedo (well over 100,000k's) and the only issue he has had has been electrical with the starter giving up the ghost.

When I got mine, I found it still had the new diff whine in it, the original owner never took it above 60ks per hour I reckon!! I fixed that after just one weekend of riding the thing how it should be ridden.

If you don't cane the hell out of them and change the oil regularly with good oil these Yamaha V engines are virtually bullet proof.

Anyway, happy and safe riding

Cheers

Keith

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have 62k on my 06 1100 silverado. only 1 issue, middle gear shaft broke. Yamaha took care of me due to defective part installed form factory. I love this bike and have thought of buying another one. It has been a great bike in both looks and service.:):)

·
Registered
20 Posts
high mileage v star

I'm gonna add a metric cruiser to my fleet. My other bike is a BMW which has the mileage business by head, shoulder and a lot of miles. Up to at least a million and the bmw website will let you sign up for a mileage award; but, lots of miles are required. Lots and lots and lots of miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2006 silverado with 30,000k on it.I'need to replace the one way startrer clutch
i am wondering how exspensive this could be if done at a yamaha dealer?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dseidel,
I had to replace one on my 05 1100 Silverado at 14,000 miles. Dealer charged about $600 as I recall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts