Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 Yamaha XVS 650 classic and I'm having an issue with it where it will idle extremely high RPM's while riding but only sometimes. It seems as if though I have to let the bike idle down while slowing down almost to the point of it dying or else it will wrap out full rpm's if I just pull in the clutch. Now if I'm in first gear, then speed up in the second gear I can let off the throttle completely and drive down the road at 25 without touching it (again only sometimes)and if I go back into first it'll stay wrapped out, but if I go up a gear or into neutral then it will go back down to normal. What would cause this?

Here is a rundown of what I know about the bike. I bought it used and have had a few issues with it - my clutch cable isn't quite right no matter how I adjust it but I'm adapting to it. The carburetor has size 132 Jets put into it already (factory is 90) and it had a varnish / sandy substance in the carburetor. That has since been cleaned and I had a new needle put into it since I've gotten it. The gas tank was also dirty with varnish- that was cleaned out as well. For some reason there was a random screw in my tank that we found while cleaning it also. And the idle set screw has been modified so that you can reach it while riding... Some sort of extension was put on it. It has factory exhaust with the baffles removed and the factory air cleaner has been removed and K&N cleaners have been put on top of the carburetor.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Possible that your choke is sticking, and I'm not very familiar with the 650, but those jets sound like they're WAY to big.. I only have a 115/112.5 in my 1100 and I have a full exhaust... Going to see if there's a 650 wiki like the 1100 and see what it says about rejetting..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jets that are in now say 132 on them. I have a kit from dynojet that are 90's. And as far as I can tell the choke is working flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is the 132 jet a Mukini? If it's a different brand the numbers will be different. One way or the other I would say your problem is related to either the carb or fuel system. Jet your bike according to the info listed on the sites others recommended here. And I would recommend purchasing genuine mukini parts that way you know for certain you have the correct items.

When I first purchases my 1100 I had a similar issue. When ever I came to a stop it would remain at a very high idle until I shifted into neutral. This was so consistent I was convinced it was something electrical relater to the TPS. Took the bike to a local mechanic and he cleaned the carbs and the issue disappeared.

And that random screw in your tank was probably from the bottom side of the cap. They are notorious for coming apart. Look at the bottom of yours and make sure all three screws are in there.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello BRP. Is it possible your throttle cable may be hangin up? May wanna try runnin some lube through the cable. Just a thought since everything else was gummed up. Or check throttle linkage to see if maybe it's hangin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the screw was from the bottom of the fuel lid!! The throttle cable is free of all binding and the clutch is operating smooth! Still lost... Although I haven't jetted it smaller yet...ugh

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well the screw was from the bottom of the fuel lid!!
There is a fix listed on the 1100 wiki page for the cap. It may be on the 650 page as well but it's the same part either way. If you haven't done so already remove each screw one at a time, add some Loctite and reinstall. If not they will constantly get loose from the vibration. You run the risk of screws in the tank clogging the petcock plus I believe if all three drop out and the cap comes apart its almost impossible to remove without damaging something. Not to mention your tank will have now have much more than three small screws floating around inside.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Occasional high rev

Hello BRP. Is it possible your throttle cable may be hangin up? May wanna try runnin some lube through the cable. Just a thought since everything else was gummed up. Or check throttle linkage to see if maybe it's hangin.
I tried t contact Sonysnek about this post but he is not accepting private messages. I have a similar situation where even I've adjust the idle thumbscrew almost all the way down, it seems to idle high when I come to a stop (03 1100 Custom.) Can anyone advise how to lube the cable?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had a similar problem, and in my case it was just a matter of carbs being out of sync. Sync'ed the carbs and it went away. YMMV, and the jets do seem awfully big.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello Jpres3 and sorry didn't get any PM's. But you could ask me here if you like. As for lubing the cable, you can purchase a tool from cruisercustomizing.com for $8.50. Or if you have a motorcycle dealer near you they will probably carry them as well. They should also have cans of cable lube as well. Caseyjones has good point as well. Could try syncing the carbs to see if that cures the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts