Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a set of Cobra Highway bars for my bike. I like how they look and I like to have a spot to add extra lights. Outside of looks because everyone has their own opinion on what looks good, can you all give me pros and cons of having them on the bike?

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can put pegs on them, adding an extra location to rest your feet when riding.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Can't imagine owning a cruiser without putting highway bars on it. If the bike falls over they will definitely save you a pile of money... and heartache! And they look great also! Mine are made by MC Enterprises.

Glen

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Are there any cons to having them on a cruiser?
Not a single downside that I can think of. The bars are even visually appealing; helps to fill in the front end, making the bike look more "substantial". Another big benefit is that if you go down, the highway bars will prevent the bike from laying right down and quite possibly pinning you under it.

Glen

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweeet, Where I bought my bike is doing the PDI on it and the bars will be in Fri, they are going to install them for free.. I can't beat free labor.. LOL So I plan on motoring Sat with her :) I will take some pics and post them up. Hopefully she will have given me her name by then. Yes I name all my vehicles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Takes less than a minute to install the bars. My new V-Star Custom has yet to tell me her name, but here is "Rhonda", (as in "Red Honda"... haha!) my new Honda CB500FA. Another absolutely awesome bike!

Glen

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
cons:
they get in the way of you trying to crash your bike for the insurance money
you can't fold them up and take them inside with you after parking
they block the view of the road underneath you
they get dirty
money pit: they give you a reason to want to spend more of your hard-earned dollars on things to attach to them
color options are so limited
prevent you from heading into narrow alleyways during police chases

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cons:
they get in the way of you trying to crash your bike for the insurance money
you can't fold them up and take them inside with you after parking
they block the view of the road underneath you
they get dirty
money pit: they give you a reason to want to spend more of your hard-earned dollars on things to attach to them
color options are so limited
prevent you from heading into narrow alleyways during police chases
LMAOOOOOOOOO I think those are cons I can live with... except for the police chase one.. gotta rethink my escape routes.. LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
Now just get a plate with "RHonda"!
Yeah that would be great, but unfortunately there are no personalized plates allowed in Newfoundland/Labrador... not sure why, as you'd think it would be a way to bring some added revenue to the province. Go figure...

Glen

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've dropped my bike ONCE. In the garage, trying to read the oil-level sightglass. Let it get away from me. (yeah, I was being stupid to not have help or use a center-jack or similar).

The highway bars meant there was no damage other than a busted mirror. Without 'em... Woulda been worse.

K

·
Registered
346 Posts
The biggest pro I can think of is installing highway pegs on them. On long trips it is nice ot be able to move around in different positions to move the soreness around to different parts of the posterior.

One Con, when walking by it in the garage and the highway peg is out you can ram your shin into it.... that sorta hurts. Ask me how I know.....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
on some engine guard installations they look as if they would hit the ground before the pegs or boards, i don't know if that ever happens but on some it looks like it's possible

·
Registered
346 Posts
on some engine guard installations they look as if they would hit the ground before the pegs or boards, i don't know if that ever happens but on some it looks like it's possible
I can assure you that my floorboards scrape the ground well before my highway bars get that low.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts