Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new for me, 1100 Silverado. The highway lights just stopped working. They have the switch on the left headlight. Before I start to rip things apart, is there a fuse I should look for? It looks like all the wiring from the highway lights leads into the back of the headlight.
Any direction is appreciated.
Sparty21

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
usually they are pigtailed off the headlight circuit. Do you have both beams on your headlight? That would eliminate alot of circuitry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both lights feed into the back of the headlight. It would appear there are no fuses.
Soooo, I would have to dissassemble the light bar and remove the headlight to see what the boogie is then eh?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just the two screws on the headlight body sides. Mine ate about 4 and 8 o'clock. should give you access to the wiring. Do both headlight beams work?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Usually they are wired off the low beam (pigtailed) verify these connections inside the headlight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the headlight front off taking the two screws out. I checked inside and all connections look secure. I replaced an inline fuse (10A) for the heck of it. High and low beams both work. I worked the switch on the left highway light back and forth and they would not light up. Wonder if one highway light bulb burns out does it stop the flow to both?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Passing lights

Sparty,

The bulbs are not in series like XMas tree lights. You have lost power to both. As Fulltilt said most of the time they are powered from the headlights. Sometimes guys want bigger bulbs and run a line direct to the battery with a relay. You might try following the wire as much as you can and see where it is feed from. Look around for a relay or inline fuse that does not look origional. Maybe near the battery or fuse box. Or a wire that does not look factory.

If you have a test light or Volt meter the back of the switch might be a good place to start checking. If there is power on both sides of the switch work forward. If not, maybe the switch is bad. If the switch is OK work back toward the headlight or battery. After the switch there wil be a splice or connector that splits the power to both lights. After that point any problem would only affect one light. Some of these have plug in connectors, be sure thay are pushed in and not corroded.

If they are feed from the head light the problem is most likely inside the headlight. If not look for that relay or fuse.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it! It was a corroded connection next to the switch inside the left highway light. I appreciated the guidance from everyone. Now, for some cold weather riding....before the ice kicks in.
Sparty
Southeast Michigan

·
Registered
84 Posts
One day I washed my bike before a dice run. Started it up and noticed the auxiliary lights weren't working. Tore the headlight apart and then got the bright idea to make sure the switch wasn't on high beam. It was. Must have bumped it over while washing. Lesson learned to start at the simple end...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you. I have to keep reminding myself to start with the simple stuff instead of looking at the major overhaul.
Sparty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts