Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the Yamaha crash/engine bar tonight for my strat.

Then I started my search for highway pegs.....There are a crap ton of options. I searched the forum but most pics of the crash bars and pegs have been removed or can no longer be seen.

SO my question and favor... what kind do you have and do you mind posting a pic?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Also interested in seeing what people have done here. I have crash bars for my 1100 and am trying to decide what I want to do for foot rests.. hah

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Wouldn't it be better just to move the controls forward a bit?
Personally, I would be worried to have to move my feet first to the controls from a higher position in case of an emergency.

Just wondering....

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have kuryakyn pegs on mine. They're mounted pretty low - not far above the regular controls. I use them more just to shift position a little bit than get my legs high up on the bars. So I mostly put my feet up there for a minute or two, then back on the floorboards in usual position. I also don't really like having my feet so far away from the controls, but they do help me avoid leg-cramps on long rides.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have ordered my junk...I kind of pieced it together, looks good on the computer screen, we shall see in real life. It should all be here by the end of the week.

I have the Yamaha bar coming, 1.25 billet clamps with grooves cut in the curvature and 'stiletto' pegs..

Add that to my LA chopper risers, I will have some pics to post this weekend hopefully.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I have kuryakyn pegs on mine. They're mounted pretty low - not far above the regular controls. I use them more just to shift position a little bit than get my legs high up on the bars. So I mostly put my feet up there for a minute or two, then back on the floorboards in usual position. I also don't really like having my feet so far away from the controls, but they do help me avoid leg-cramps on long rides.

Ah, I see :). I now have reverted to fish oil (not for the motorbike, for myself ;)), and that actually helps with the cramps, as in, of late I don't get them anymore. My joints don't creak anymore either, which was the main reason to start using them again :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Well I have ordered my junk...I kind of pieced it together, looks good on the computer screen, we shall see in real life. It should all be here by the end of the week.

I have the Yamaha bar coming, 1.25 billet clamps with grooves cut in the curvature and 'stiletto' pegs..

Add that to my LA chopper risers, I will have some pics to post this weekend hopefully.
Are those the bent, flattened clamps?

We'd love to see photos, of course :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Very nice indeed, if not some of the best I have seen so far, style and body wise!

Where did you get those, if I may ask?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed project!

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice indeed, if not some of the best I have seen so far, style and body wise!

Where did you get those, if I may ask?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed project!

Kind regards, Wim
I found them all on flea-bay (ebay) and have a total of $65.00 for what was pictured and that includes a set of drag specialties pins (didnt want to use bolts) Everything but the pins were made in the USA and all was new.

The problem is people are slow as molasses in February when it comes to shipping. The Yamaha engine bar was ordered last friday, I just now got a shipping comment on it and that was after 2 emails requesting one. The pegs are still at the sort facility in CA and the clamps are in Michigan. All of these items were ordered last Friday.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Over here 4 days for motorcycle items is actually considered to be fast :). This despite the country being no longer than about 220 miles, and no wider than 110 miles :). And assuming stuff is in stock.

When not in stock, it generally means a very, very long wait ....

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over here 4 days for motorcycle items is actually considered to be fast :). This despite the country being no longer than about 220 miles, and no wider than 110 miles :). And assuming stuff is in stock.

When not in stock, it generally means a very, very long wait ....

Kind regards, Wim
I might not have been clear enough...Example; I ordered risers from California on the 11th. The asshat printed a shipping label that day which shows them as shipped on my screen. But I never got a tracking number. 6 days later I email asking about a tracking number, when they should have arrived by now anyway. So he sends me a tracking number, I plug it in the USPS website and he just took the parts to the post office today...6 days after me marked them shipped.

While I know this isnt life and death, but when I came home expecting to see them in the mail box and they are still hanging in his ass out in California...makes a man a touch pissed.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Nah, that isn't very nice. Over here you get a tracking number when it is shipped, and generally they tell you when they have done so. At least that way you know that before they send you a tracking code, that it hasn't been shipped yet :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
609 Posts
I might not have been clear enough...Example; I ordered risers from California on the 11th. The asshat printed a shipping label that day which shows them as shipped on my screen. But I never got a tracking number. 6 days later I email asking about a tracking number, when they should have arrived by now anyway. So he sends me a tracking number, I plug it in the USPS website and he just took the parts to the post office today...6 days after me marked them shipped.

While I know this isnt life and death, but when I came home expecting to see them in the mail box and they are still hanging in his ass out in California...makes a man a touch pissed.
Yeah, that's a little egregious, and I know long-held shipments tick me off too. There's really no excuse for a Thursday order to not ship until the following Wednesday (assuming the guy's posting doesn't say something like "I ship once a week on Wednesdays" (which is silly, but I have seen such things).

HOWEVER... the part where it was 'marked shipped' when he printed the label, which 'adds insult to injury,' is actually not his choice. It's Ebay that determines simply printing the label marks it as "shipped." As an Ebay seller myself, I dislike that for exactly the reason you point out: I've "shipped" it according to Ebay when I've not actually "shipped" it and wish the customer had better info.

Say I print a bunch of labels from Friday afternoon orders, but they won't get picked up by UPS until Monday. So from the buyers' POV, I didn't ship it for "three days" (some would even say "4 days", including the day of the order) after it was marked shipped.

Yet the reality is I "shipped" it the next business day after the order, which is what my listings say I will do. I almost dread orders coming in after carrier pickup time on Friday, because I know about 1/4 of those will end up with someone bitching about my "slow shipping" when it goes out on Monday.

In your case, though, it's no such thing. Even if the fellow promised only 'by the 2nd business day' shipping - which I think is the limit of acceptability - it should still have really & truly hit the carrier by Monday the 15th at latest.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got my mounting clamps today and while they are worth the $35 I paid for them I see one small issue.

I also purchased the drag specialties foot peg mounting pins to use instead of bolts. The pins are clean, chrome and use a small cir-clip to retain the pin.

The outside to outside measurements of the clamp ears is exactly 1"

The drag specialties pins measure 1" front the flange to the center of the groove for the cir-clip. Basically I put the pin in and the groove isnt fully clear from the clamp ear so the cir-clip will not seat in the groove.

I broke out the dial micrometer and measuring the pins from the flange to the first edge of the groove and it comes out to .975, .015" shy of a full inch.

Awesome....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I got my mounting clamps today and while they are worth the $35 I paid for them I see one small issue.

I also purchased the drag specialties foot peg mounting pins to use instead of bolts. The pins are clean, chrome and use a small cir-clip to retain the pin.

The outside to outside measurements of the clamp ears is exactly 1"

The drag specialties pins measure 1" front the flange to the center of the groove for the cir-clip. Basically I put the pin in and the groove isnt fully clear from the clamp ear so the cir-clip will not seat in the groove.

I broke out the dial micrometer and measuring the pins from the flange to the first edge of the groove and it comes out to .975, .015" shy of a full inch.

Awesome....
Items purchased on Ebay = Scientific precision... not a formula I find to be reliable...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well,,,,actually no. I just learned something and I shall share my new-found plethora of knowledge with the rest...

Not all foot peg clamps use 1" pins..WHAT! that is correct....

Somewhere out there someone decided to use 15/16" clamp pins..and guess what idiot that was...Harley Davidson.

Evidently they decided to make some foot brackets with a slightly shorter pin so people wouldnt buy aftermarket..it didnt last long but unfortunately some suppliers like Drag Specialties offers them for the few unluckly ones that have one of these POS bikes.

So I ordered a set and didnt realize it is the seldom used 15/16" pins.

SO I just ordered a set of 1" pins.....I hope they get here before my road trip next week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well,,,,actually no. I just learned something and I shall share my new-found plethora of knowledge with the rest...

Not all foot peg clamps use 1" pins..WHAT! that is correct....

Somewhere out there someone decided to use 15/16" clamp pins..and guess what idiot that was...Harley Davidson.

Evidently they decided to make some foot brackets with a slightly shorter pin so people wouldnt buy aftermarket..it didnt last long but unfortunately some suppliers like Drag Specialties offers them for the few unluckly ones that have one of these POS bikes.

So I ordered a set and didnt realize it is the seldom used 15/16" pins.

SO I just ordered a set of 1" pins.....I hope they get here before my road trip next week.
Hopefully they don't take 6 days to ship!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I emailed the seller, cried like a baby telling my story and they said they would be in the mail in the morning.

I am leaving Thursday for the beach and wanted all this crap on a few days before I left to work out any vibrations or other fitment issues..looks like i might have a chance.

If the pins dont get here in time I will use bolts with nylock nuts and leave them a hair loose.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts