Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pretty good day out on the 950 last Wednesday. Managed to get in a little better than 400 miles. Totally worth it for some good Texas BBQ.

In any event it felt like the bike was right at home at 65 or 70...above that it seemed like the motor was kind of wailing. Some of the roads I went on had speed limits of 75, and this is Texas which means I was still getting passed.

How much is this bike struggling to keep up at speeds above 70? Am I overreacting?

Dang that was some good eats, and the bike handled the trip excellently. Great machine!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guarantee you are not hurting the bike. I had an 1100 Silverado that I had the same experience with, I did a lot of highway miles at 75mph or better and the bike was fine I just didn't like the feel or sound at those speeds so I bought a Roadstar 1700 Silverado. The 1100 and I'm sure the 950 are not struggling or being mechanically damaged at highway speeds just the difference between a short stroke and long stroke engine. The short stroke is made to run at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have the 950. I never drive above 70 so I don't know how much above that you can go.
The 950 is wound very tight at 70 and like Grizzer said it is designed to run at higher RPM. Some don't mind the high revving and I don't for shorter distances but, to me, after awhile it gets annoying.

·
Administrator
3,497 Posts
I have to agree on the 1100 revving higher than I liked at speeds over 70. It was a good bike but I really wanted a long stroke for lower rpms on the highway. I've read they are very comparable to a 950 as far as revving and top speed. Very happy with how my current ride works at 70, 80, and it's not even working hard at 90.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
907 Posts
I don't have the 950, but I don't believe it is peaking at 65mph. I suggest you run her up to 90 for a few miles. Safely of course. Once you have exprienced 90, 75 is going to feel comfortable.

I was timid about the revving too at first. Now I fight the urge to hit 80 each time I am on the interstate. And our freeways are ROUGH here. I don't want to ride that fast, but the bike sure does.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I rode a VStar 650 from Pensacola to Milwaukee , all interstate. Yea it was wound tight at 70/75 but it did it all day and going through Nashville it was 80 to keep from getting run over. It didn't hurt the bike at all, the bike just won't die, it has 120,000 miles on it , has been hit by a car a year ago January. I have had to replace both wheels ( one because of the car and the rear because it wore out the spoke holes , they are not round anymore) but as for the engine Yamaha makes it almost bullet proof. It seems the harder you push the VStar engines the better they run.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Bone stock my 950t ran 75 mph pretty easily, after exhaust and intake upgrades, at 85 it was still pulling hard. The motors have ceramic lined cylinder walls to keep the heat down and run just fine since they’re air cooled.
Now in comparison, my RoadStar is a long stroke and also air cooled. It’s not even breathing hard at 75mph and doesn’t need a sixth gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I may have nothing to worry about at higher speeds. Thanks everyone for the input, it's appreciated. I guess I'll have to do some more high speed/highway speed riding to get more comfortable with the way the motor acts at normal highway cruising speeds. Looks like another ride needs to be scheduled soon.

Thanks again, and ride safe.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
geeze bro!
you had the speedo wrapped all the way around back to 0, and you took a photo too!

like others have said, the stroke of the engine (the distance the piston moves) is shorter on vstar Vtwin engines than it is on HD and some other vtwin bikes

so the transmission is geared different, the engine IS spinning faster at 80mph than a Harley

but its designed for it - sports bikes spin even faster

If you want to move up to a slower 'cruising' engine, the Royal Star and Road Star both have a 0.75 overdrive 5th gear - they can spin slower at 80mph because they have more HP (1300cc on the Royal Star and its a V4 engine, 1600 or 1700cc on the Road Star) and they both have a top speed over 130mph

but when you want to accelerate fast on those bikes I think 4th gear will take you up to 90 mph before the rev limited starts to kick in

Reactions: Keith Post and SpEd

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
375 Posts
You are not hurting the bike. I have a 650, last week I completed a 290 miles roundtrip ( 145 MI each way ) at freeway speeds of 65-67MPH. She's such a trooper, she ran like she could go all day at that speed. Sure, I agree with others above, she sounds loud at that speed, and I get the urge to have another gear but that's just us. On my way to work on the highway where the speed limit is 50MPH she sounds like she's at home. A little bit over that speed and that's when I get the feeling she could use the extra gear, but the bike was designed by Yamaha engineers to run like that.

The arc was built by an amateur, the titanic was built by engineers..

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
354 Posts
The air cooled engines ( 650,950 ) do whine but they will run the rpm's no problem. My ex was on a vstar 650 custom and we had no issues holding 75 mph on the hwy.. took her a lil longer to get there but no issues after. The 950 should have no issues over the 650. My old 2013 shadow 750 no problem hitting 85mph after that was a different story.. LOL

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The air cooled engines ( 650,950 ) do whine but they will run the rpm's no problem. My ex was on a vstar 650 custom and we had no issues holding 75 mph on the hwy.. took her a lil longer to get there but no issues after. The 950 should have no issues over the 650. My old 2013 shadow 750 no problem hitting 85mph after that was a different story.. LOL
Did your shadow have 6th gear?

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
354 Posts
Nope only 5speed shadow.. yes she screamed but that's what ear plugs are for :) I was riding with a friend on the hwy on a Vulcan2000ltd.. so speeds were higher.

Reactions: Keith Post
1 - 20 of 43 Posts