Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few guys I know aren't crazy about highway riding due to a higher potential for catastrophic situations. Personally I hate city driving. Stop and go, lights turning just when I'm up to speed and cars coming from every direction and constant shifting can become tiresome. Highway riding is much more relaxing to me. I can usually manipulate myself into a large buffer zone and everyone is at least going in the same direction. It's easier to avoid merging traffic when you have room to maneuver and easier to see and avoid distracted drivers when you have space around you.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Its a matter of managing the risks you are exposed to, and the risks you have no control over.

A busy city street with more than 2 lanes and lots of traffic is risky.

An interstate highway with multiple lanes and 18 wheelers and buses is risky for other reasons (throwing tires, they cant see you or stop).

If I have the option I prefer two lane rural or suburban roads with light or no traffic. Cruising at 55 to 60mph with no windshield is sensory pleasant, nice wind over you, nothing blocking your view, no air drag on the bike... Its not the fastest way to get from A to Z, but thats not why Im on a motorbike. I like to stop every 10 to 15 miles for an intersection, and put my feet down, stand up and wiggle my butt - can not do that on a limited access interstate. Also on a two lane road, if you suddenly need to pull over (leg cramp, something in your eye...whatever) the next driveway is usually less than a mile ahead.

The air blast that hits you increases with the square of your speed - so the force of the wind is twice as much at 71mph as it is at 50. At 86mph there is 3 times the force trying to blow you off the bike as there is at 50.

When I put the windshield on my bike, and ride on the interstate at 80mph, its ok in a tolerable way. When I get where Im going and slow down to 45mph with the windshield on, I am miserable. Its like riding around in a glass jar. If the sun is out I stew in my own juices.

I have noticed that people travelling tend to blindly use their GPS to tell them where to go, and it almost always tells them to take the interstate thruways. The secondary roads are often deserted as a result. Thank you US Airforce for GPS! Two lanes, no traffic, no windshield, 60mph = bliss :^)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I prefer a nice ride at about 50-55 MPH through the country. Of course it has it's own ricks with animals and blind curves but for me, I do not care to ride 75 MPH on a highway. It seems to just wear me out.

·
Super Moderator
13,111 Posts
A few guys I know aren't crazy about highway riding due to a higher potential for catastrophic situations. Personally I hate city driving. Stop and go, lights turning just when I'm up to speed and cars coming from every direction and constant shifting can become tiresome. Highway riding is much more relaxing to me. I can usually manipulate myself into a large buffer zone and everyone is at least going in the same direction. It's easier to avoid merging traffic when you have room to maneuver and easier to see and avoid distracted drivers when you have space around you.

good thing you're not called Cityman!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

Here's a novel thought. I use freeways and go faster when I'm in a hurry to get to another point. I use side roads through scenic surroundings with variety when I'm just out for the fun of being on a bike. 0:)

--

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
--

Here's a novel thought. I use freeways and go faster when I'm in a hurry to get to another point. I use side roads through scenic surroundings with variety when I'm just out for the fun of being on a bike. /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png

--
That’s pretty much my approach as well @RonK .

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have no riding experience but in my truck it's the secondary roads that are the best, then highways, then city or beach areas in the busy time. The local beaches have two lane roads that seem to be always packed and no lane splitting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lane splitting is illegal in MN. Even if it wasn't I wouldn't do it. I'm never in that much of a hurry. I'm lucky in that miles of open winding country roads are pretty much out my back door and that's where I head when I'm out for pleasure riding.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If I have the option I prefer two lane rural or suburban roads with light or no traffic.
Rural roads are the best. Lots to see. Follows the terrain. Much nicer speeds. Opportunities for new cafes and the occasional bar. History. Parks.

Watch out for wildlife, livestock, obstructions and farm equipment over the next hill or around the next corner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only unfortunate part and where I live is I have to go west before I can get to the exploration. Other wise its North or South on a highway that shouldn't be too bad, it's a 4 lane at 55, the interstates worry me 70 with heavy traffic all day and everyone is trying for felony speeds

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal in MN. Even if it wasn't I wouldn't do it. I'm never in that much of a hurry. I'm lucky in that miles of open winding country roads are pretty much out my back door and that's where I head when I'm out for pleasure riding.
That's because you don't live in California :)

Seriously, I don't do it much anymore as I'm not commuting anymore but occasionally, I'll have multiple miles of very stop and go in front of me and I'll do the maximum 15 mph faster than the traffic as it used to be recommended but I'll also keep an eye out for upcoming (from the rear) people that are doing 30+ over the traffic speed and move over to let them go by. An important factor is to only split between lanes 1 and 2. Those folks are used to it an many move over to give room, especially when an 18 wheeler or a bus is in lane 2.

I fully agree with getting enjoyment out of empty 2 lane roads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only real advantage to lane splitting I see is city driving, you get to a light you can ease up to the first car in line and not have to worry the driver behind you "not seeing you" and smashing you, and also not having to stop at the same light twice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live in the middle of Quebec...(Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean). There are no super highways. Maximum speed limits are 90 kmh. I like to ride at about 85 kmh. The traffic is light and I have to admit that the roads are in pretty good condition when I get away from the cities.....if you call a city being 50,000 people...lol. I live in the middle of the largest city in our region and it takes me about 5 minutes to get out of town. It's a great region for biking. Quebec City is about 2 1/2 hours south and Montreal is about 5 1/2 hours south west and we get a lot of visitors from those regions. With the exchange rate the way it is, I'm surprised that there are not that many bikers from the states up here. Summer temperatures are usually around 70F during the day and 55F at night. It's a great place to wear your leathers and thin gloves. This is a french speaking region but you can usually find someone who talks a bit of English. The area is great for people who like wilderness camping....lots of public land.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

But in Canada I can't carry a weapon. So I don't bother.

--

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
... This is a french speaking region but you can usually find someone who talks a bit of English. The area is great for people who like wilderness camping....lots of public land.
it sounds inviting

In NY state and Pennsylvania there are very few primitive wilderness areas where the trees have never been cut or the ground has never been farmed or mined...

Looks like a very different story up where you are in Quebec.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I prefer a nice ride at about 50-55 MPH through the country. Of course it has it's own ricks with animals and blind curves but for me, I do not care to ride 75 MPH on a highway. It seems to just wear me out.
+1 on the country routes! That's what I'm doing most of the time for my "Wind Therapy" sessions.

Regarding highway travel: I was talking to a friend and his preferred lane of travel (on a highway) is the passing lane (far left). His argument, is that he only has to keep an eye on his right side (of course front and back as well). My argument against that, is that he will be expected to ride faster than the majority of the traffic. Personally, I hate it when someone comes up behind me and wants me to ride faster then I want.

Thoughts?
-PH

1 - 20 of 22 Posts