Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I just acquired a 2009 Yamaha Vstar650 custom about 2 months ago. I acquired it with only 700 miles on it. Its previous owner didnt ride it much. When I got it I had to get the carb cleaned and adjusted.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that when goign past 40-45mph, it starts making a hissing sound, that sounds kinf of like a fly, when flying by your ear. It also sounds kind of sparkly. The sounds is coming from the left side, by my left leg, or a little to the front of it. The sounds also seems to have intensified as I have been riding it. This ONLY happens when accelerating after 40-45mph.

I thought maybe it is the left spark plug. Has anyone had this problem before, or has any input on it please? I am new to motorcycles, and dont know much about them. I just donbt want it to "explode" on me lol

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have a windshield or perhaps fork lowers? Is there a plastic zip-tie with a long end that flaps in the wind?

I have a 2009 V Star 650 that I just bought that has the chrome fork lowers. I too heard a weird sound at those speeds and thought I had a bad cam chain or that there was some other motor issue. It took some head scratching but it turned to be the left chrome fork lower that was vibrating and touching the fork tube causing a weird noise. I gently pulled the lowers away and then added a tiny peel and stick rubber pad to prevent metal to metal contact. Noise gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts