Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Hitch Mount Bike Carrier for a 650?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jarrodg1993 
#1 ·
So I am gonna be taking a trip to Maine (from Florida) in July and would really like to take my bike with me but I'm not sure if I want to tow a trailer all the way? I have a '98 V Star 650 and it weighs a good 500lb easy. I bought a hitch mount carrier that I though would work but it turned out to be too small. Couldn't even get the front tire up the ramp. Is there a big heavy duty carrier that I could get? If I have to tow a trailer I will but they are more expensive to buy and I don't really have a place to store it long term. I would buy it, take the trip and turn around and sell it. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Don't trust a hitch mount PERIOD. First, you'd have to have a receiver capable of a 500# tongue load, most likely you don't. Second, side load with a 500# bike (sway) would bee scary. Buy/rent/borrow a small single bike trailer and invest in good straps (no harbor freight cheapos). Too much $ in your bike to save $20 on straps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have a class III receiver hitch on my Durango that is bolted to the frame and I've towed a dump trailer off road to the landfill with it so I'm not too worried about the receiver. I am worried though with the sway force of a 500lb bike rocking back and forth on a 2" steel tube. Has anyone done that before?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.