Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to pull the front wheel off my Royal Star, and found I cannot use my normal blocking method to get the front wheel off the ground.

On my 650 I can put a 4x6 block under the right side of the frame, lean the bike up off the kick stand onto the block

then slide a 4x6 plus a 2x4 under the left side of the frame, then lean the bike to the left and slide another 2x4 under the right side...

doing this with the 650 I can easily 'walk' the bike up and push the blocks in place. Tried to do it with the Royal Star (710 lbs) and its too much to do by myself.

I will be able to use the blocks when my son is home, I can sit on the bike and lean it as needed side to side, and he can push the blocks in place.

But Im looking for better way to lift the bike. A lift from Harbor freight is an obvious $100 solution, if it will fit under the bike without hitting the exhaust (which is lower than the frame on one side).

The bike has crash bars on the front. We have a bridge crane at work. Im wondering if I would bend the crash bars if I used them to lift the bike from above with straps?

Using a spreader bar to keep the straps from crushing the gas tank is easy.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,748 Posts
I have one of the "cheap" lifts from Harbor Freight. Works on my 1100 and Harley. I would suggest to get one as it works, bike is stable and it's a one person job. Check for coupons, I think I paid $59 for mine with on line coupon.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure about the crashbars on that bike, I know mine, the top isn't really mounted and would bend, bu the botton of the crashbars would be safe.
I went and got a big red motorcycle jack from craigslist for $50, seems to be mostly an endless supply on there, just pricing range a lot.

Been very happy lifting my bike using the jack.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I never got a lift for the 650 because the engine extends below the frame, and you have to make a matching subframe to catch it in the right place with a lift.

I think the V4 on the Royal Star will clear the lift - will take another look at it tonight. Strangely the exhaust on the left side of the bike is below the frame, but on the right side its above the frame.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think the 950 is the same way, but I can just clear around it ok. My real issue is, the length is pretty much exact, so I have to make sure it is exactly centered perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts