Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the k and n stock replacment filter had a buddy do the machining to a piece of aluminum that goes against the throttle body. Drilled some holes in the second plate. That one bolts to the first plate, and did some thinking and I came up with this. ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573515.052442.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573546.427042.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573571.518745.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573583.747730.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573599.555829.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402573657.554207.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks good. I've daydreaming about this but I don't know if I like the rectangle shape of the filter? I drilled giant holes in the black plastic to create more intake but that was a while ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah I'm not big on the shape. But from this point I can create any kit to fit any filter. All it will cost is some more plate aluminum and some time to drill the holes. I am going to order the same air filter that the baron kit uses. And the pre filter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That's exactly the plan. Was wanting a round one too. I work in a machine shop and have been trying to piece of all together in my mind....this helped thanks. Wonder of I'll need a tuner afterwards?

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking about earlier today.

So, if I understand correctly, you have a plate mated to the throttle body with holes matching the throttle body, and another plate mounted to the first plate with an extra hole in the center for the external plate center bolt, then a plate on the outside of the filter? I'm not sure what the plate in the second picture is?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Id like to know as well. I thought the pics were outta order. Thought the 2nd pic was the original piece on the throttle body and the 1st pic showed it covered by the machined piece...then the machined outer piece to hold in place? Details and steps please as this WILL be a popular diy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I like it!!:cool:
About 6 months ago I went through a air box mod madness.
I started out doing very close to your mod, worked great!
I don't have picture on bike but here's my cover just before I cut it up to make my spike bracket..

Then I saw on ebay these spikes for like $60 and using me bracket from our first mod to made a bracket for the spike.

Works great but with all the rain we're having right now I switched back to my stock custom air box set up.
It takes about 5 minutes to switch out.;)

All the air you could ever want and keeps rain out. LOL
I was out in a down pour cars were parking on the side of the road and no problems just kept riding on.:)
Ok so you hacked off the bottom of stock box? What is done for extra air? You leave the bottom open? Details please...lol

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice to have options!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just love to DIY

Ok so you hacked off the bottom of stock box? What is done for extra air? You leave the bottom open? Details please...lol

"About 6 months ago I went through a air box mod madness."
As I said I went through a air box madness.
I also need to add I'm not putting $250 into a custom air box.
Remember this is for the 1300
First mod drilled holes in back of air box, worked great!
Second mod was as this thread did made a cover that was smaller and just covered the filter.
Looked ok and you know it let in all the air the bike could use. The filter was really out there where rain can get in.
I know almost all the high buck air boxes are like that BUT
Third mod here's where I got the idea of more air but wanted some protection from the weather.
Plus I wanted to make the stock air cover look smaller.
Sounded good in theory but not much better looks may be a little.
But with the K N filter there is no way I'm not getting all the air the bike could want.
I cut about a 1/2" lower than the filter so water isn't a problem.
Can't be any worse that those with the open filter all the way around.
Ok Fourth mod was to make up a bracket and add the spike.
With this $60 buck kit the brackets that come with it are for the 1100 so had the make my own.
Here I could have bought a kit that fit the bike but ain't pain $400 for it.
So that's my story.:D

I know I went nuts about my air box but!!!
I love to make things DIY.
Things I've made for my bike.
Four different lowers
Four different air box mod s
lowered my MS bat wing an extra 1"
lowered license plate.
made a rear fender rack
Made three different rider back rests
Baffles for mufflers
Made 4" Forward controls work with highway guard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts