Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Homemade lowering links.

12K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Boob 
#1 ·
I know I have found it once before. I would like instructions on how to make lowering links for a v star 1300. I think the instructions were for a 1100 but it was the same i think.

#3 ·
Yah I know. I like saying "I built that":)

#5 ·
Oh I'm with ya. I was gonna buy em, make my own and return IF I did a good enough job...lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
Ive heard however that without the progressive spring, your asking for trouble in bottoming out.

#7 ·
But I saw the plans and a spec saying how much further apart drops how much. That's what I wanna find but for the life of me I cant.

#12 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
See that's why I'll prob buy mine. $50 and it does all 3 stages. I don't have the resources to build all that. Good luck and post plenty.

#13 ·
Even with progressive spring it still bottoms out on the lowest setting with me 220 6"4 and my wife at 115 and bags its bottomed out with the barons kit at the lowest setting and the high rate spring still. Swapped it to the higher but still dropped setting much better ride and no more bottoming out.

#14 ·
I built one set last night(1 1/8" drop). It took no time at all, scrap steel, and now I have the pride of doing it myself. I'm 145lbs. I am installing the 1 1/8" ones tonight and seriously doubt I'll bottom out. I'll finish the other two sets sometime in the next week here. I want a progressive spring, in the near future, but last night I read of the road star spring giving a little bit of a weight rating increase. So I'll make that decision in the next day or two with research and recommendation.

#15 · (Edited)
So the original measurement is shown in this pic. The tape measure was on a little bit of an angle. It was 15 3/4".
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Bumper

This pic is showing my links. Simple and easy. Based on the instructions I posted above.
Wood Line Table Metal Furniture

This is the after. It measured 14 1/2". I haven't ridden it yet but it looks awesome.
Tire Tape measure Automotive tire Auto part Rim

Anyone can do this. A hack saw, a drill, and some paint will make the links. And simple metric tools will disassemble the bike to install them.

#17 ·
I am pretty sure that it will work. If you look on barons site the same links do various different models.

#19 ·
OK I installed a 2.25" drop tonight. Made the links at work...easy. Installed with niegbor...not as easy. That was a pain in the ass... but oh the ass end looks so good now. I'm so happy with the way she sits now. Tomorrow I test the ride and post pics.

#20 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.