Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Would have never thought of that but I can see the practicality. I wonder what the actual towing capacity of a GW is. I would have to guess the pic of it towing the Volvo and the camper would be a stretch. Especially since the pic shows the rider with his left foot on the ground. Wonder if it would pull it at all or if that shot was just staged.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So being a Mechanical Engineer, I must say that there are a few merits to this concept.

One is that I would imagine that the initial purchase cost may be less.

Another being that, unloaded, the motorcycle tow may be able to get to the stranded vehicle faster - although I can't imagine trying to lane split with that much unwieldy mass stored in the back.

These two minor positives are offset by a multitude of issues.

The biggest one in my mind is braking power. Even a Goldwing with ABS does not have the necessary braking power to take on the weight of the towed vehicle. Sure it appears that the photos show it being done - but i would wager that the tow speed is very low - limited by the available stopping power.

I would also wager that this kind of usage would require weekly (daily?) replacement of all brake rotors as well as clutch packs.

Then of course there is the question of rain... I'm sure that there are no issues with a 2 wheel vehicle trying to maneuver on wet pavement with a few tons of towed weight.

Plausible, but not practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

From the article:
This is the most amazing and outrageous modding job we ever seen put in place for a Honda Gold Wing motorcycle… and at the same time, one of the most best and efficient.

Photos and article - Honda Gold Wing motorcycle tow truck that tows cars

you can't tow with the docking wheel down and if it was lifted the bike would stand up lifting the front wheel off the ground. simple geometry. even with it down the first bump will lift the front making the bike unsteerable.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
you can't tow with the docking wheel down and if it was lifted the bike would stand up lifting the front wheel off the ground. simple geometry. even with it down the first bump will lift the front making the bike unsteerable.
I'm assuming it has some type of articulating hitch set-up. Not like a typical hitch on your pick-up. The dolly has to hold the entire weight of the vehicle being towed. The bike is just pulling it not holding any of the weight.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm assuming it has some type of articulating hitch set-up. Not like a typical hitch on your pick-up. The dolly has to hold the entire weight of the vehicle being towed. The bike is just pulling it not holding any of the weight.
around 12 to 15 mph the bike needs to counter steer. i think that where the problem lies. i'm sure it could tow it the under the counter steer speed fine but after that point watch out! in turns he's slowing enough to pro steer the turns. in a straight line it can go as fast as traffic allows. forget to slow for the turn and your done for the day. a little to risky for my taste

1 - 8 of 8 Posts