Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying a new 2009 vstar 950. I like the looks and most things about the bike. My wife wants to start riding with me so I am wondering if anyone has comments about the vstar 950's power. Does it have enough get up and go for both rider and passenger? I don't want to buy a really big bike but I do want enough power for two. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 950 Tourer and love it. I was same way, didn't want to go real big. This bike has plenty of get up and go for my wife and myself and neither one of us are small people. My bike is completely stock for now also. Just up the preload on the rear suspension and enjoy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 950T, I ride 2up with my wife and find that the 950 has MORE than ample torque and ponies to make your ride a pleasant experience.
You'll not regret buying the V Star 950, it's a great machine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 950T, I ride 2up with my wife and find that the 950 has MORE than ample torque and ponies to make your ride a pleasant experience.
You'll not regret buying the V Star 950, it's a great machine.

all motorcycles are compromises, and i have had ~5 bikes
i have a 08 Ultra for me & the wife, and we have never doubled up on her bike.
so i can't speak for two up power,

but i find the 950 to be an excellent bike for many purposes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
all motorcycles are compromises, and i have had ~5 bikes
i have a 08 Ultra for me & the wife, and we have never doubled up on her bike.
so i can't speak for two up power,

but i find the 950 to be an excellent bike for many purposes.
That's an opinion 04ctd, you see I don't feel that I compromised on anything when I purchased my 950T, I bought what I wanted, not because I couldn't afford to buy a bigger bike (I can) but because that's what I wanted.:)
So for the sake of conversation 04ctd, what did you compromise on when you bought your 08 Ultra?:confused: Just curious. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
quality. HD's are still really tractors, and HD doesn't sell you a bike...they sell you something to put "HD Genuine Accessories" on.

don't let anyone fool you, ask them what "the harley tax" is...that's the $1000 you pay for pipes, air cleaner, and a fuel mgmt device (before you even get it out the door, usually)

and coolness. who looks cool on a geezer glide?

i was referring in general,
my wife hates that she has no storage on her 950.
i hated my HD Night Train because it had NO storage, it was a pain to stay out after dark on it.

so each bike has limits.
like my buddy bought a Rocker, and can't stand the rear seat gap.

i want another Night Train though, because i miss the fun of a light flickable bike.

the 950 is the best bike I know of, if it fits your needs:
-size
-budget
-style
-warranty

i like it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
quality. HD's are still really tractors, and HD doesn't sell you a bike...they sell you something to put "HD Genuine Accessories" on.

don't let anyone fool you, ask them what "the harley tax" is...that's the $1000 you pay for pipes, air cleaner, and a fuel mgmt device (before you even get it out the door, usually)

and coolness. who looks cool on a geezer glide?

i was referring in general,
my wife hates that she has no storage on her 950.
i hated my HD Night Train because it had NO storage, it was a pain to stay out after dark on it.

so each bike has limits.
like my buddy bought a Rocker, and can't stand the rear seat gap.

i want another Night Train though, because i miss the fun of a light flickable bike.

the 950 is the best bike I know of, if it fits your needs:
-size
-budget
-style
-warranty

i like it.
Excellent answer 04ctd.
But the 950T has plenty of storage for those who like a tourer.
The Night train is a great bike, so you everlooked a few shortcomings to buy what you wanted. No compromise there, just a few self negotiations.:D
Who likes the look of a geezer glide? I do, you see I'm 67 years young so that type of bike suites to a "T";)
I wish that I knew your name so that I could talk to you on a more personal level. Have a great day and take care.:)

Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Excellent answer 04ctd.
But the 950T has plenty of storage for those who like a tourer.

I wish that I knew your name so that I could talk to you on a more personal level. Have a great day and take care.:)

Mike
she is going looking for a little fork bag this weekend :)

john - retired RMCS(SS)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey dhastings! The 950 has great power and torque for two people. I live in north central ohio which is realitively flat, but i think it would do just as good in the hills. Great Bike!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey dhastings! The 950 has great power and torque for two people. I live in north central ohio which is realitively flat, but i think it would do just as good in the hills. Great Bike!
Yes it is Suds. People seem to forget that it's all but a 1000cc, it's not a small engine. I live in a mountainous area of Maryland and my 950 has no problems negotiating inclines riding 2up, in fact it doesn't even breath hard. You said it, it's a "great bike".

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't want to buy a really big bike
With a 66.3 inch wheelbase and 95.9 inch long and 39.4 inch wide, the 950 is a LONG bike. If you take the MSF ERC on it, you're going to have to use every inch of the course (excluding the 28 foot U-turn box which I can do comfortably in 24 feet) to avoid having to scrape floorboards especially on the S-curves and anything over 135 degrees. Forget doing most of the 18 foot radius police training course exercise on it, a motorman might get it down to 19 feet with some practice because it is a longer wheelbase than the HD Road Kings most of them ride.

As long as you don't want to pull a trailer, it has plenty of power at any legal speed (in most states) for two plus luggage to accelerate when it is cool. That engine has a LOT of torque over a wide power band and the belt drive makes it very efficient at putting the power where it matters. The other thing to consider is how hot does it get where you live. Because it is air cooled, it isn't going to be comfortable in the desert during the day and climbing out of a desert will be hard on it.

Own a pair of 950T's and couldn't be happier.

·
Administrator
13,890 Posts
my impressions after 10 weeks now:

-i'd like a little more power in the lower range, but for the size of the bike, it has more than adequate power in the high gear. i live close to the hill country in Austin, TX where a flat road can be a rare site and some extra torque would be greatly appreciated

-i think the touring package for this model is a total ripoff. $1k? with a factory windshield, after market saddlebags in the next couple weeks, i'll only be out about $450 or so (no backrest for mine). yeah those are nice saddlebags, but that's mostly what you're paying for with that package

-this bike is really nimble, sometimes it feels too nimble. i get the feeling that my back tire wants to slide out from under me sometimes doing higher speed cornering

-i'm a 28 year old male, 5'10" 230 lbs. i don't like how gender neutral this thing is and how so many people refer to it as a beginner bike. sure it may just be my ego, but it takes a lot of the edge off of the bike's image with that talk.

-with just a 26.5" seat height, i thought i'd be sitting a lot lower in the bike than i do. i actually feel pretty high/tall when i'm on the road riding alongside every car whose driver i'm looking down on.

-wish the stock pipe didn't have that sound baffle in it. still haven't taken mine out yet

-i love this bike, especially since it's my first, but i definitely would have gotten a bigger one (probably raider) if i had some experience beforehand and wanted to spend the extra money. the price/value of this bike is incredible

just my opinions

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone has an opinion. I have a 950 and ride 2 up often and it has more than enough power on flat road or winding hilly roads. I've had several bikes and i feel this bike does everything well.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I was more expecting a 10 year review of your 950. The two have been together and gone farther than most do. My personal best was my vtx i put 27000 miles on it. I don't expect you to defend yourself, but i do expect you to defend your bike!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts