Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My star 1100 classic 2007 always start right away when cold but when engine or weather super hot it randomly won't start right away . I smell fuel a bit too much for my taste even when the bike hasn't been running for a few days. To my knowledge only the mufflers have been modified (baffles removed)

Any thought ?

Thank you

Phil

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hold the start button down for at least 15 seconds...it's not fuel injected and when it sits after running, heat builds up and vaporizes fuel in the float bowls creating a small vapor lock. Just keep it cranking and it'll fire. Do not ever give it throttle.

You can also remove the O ring on the main jet holder to help as well.

Since I went to pods 8 years ago, I've never had an issue either.

It could also be time to do a complete tune up and carb synch......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I know I'd it if it's around 1000 ? My 1100 is a bit fast and read somewhere that it was best but probably drain fuel faster ....my bike is around 30 mpg :(((((

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks nick57 but got the bike last month and don't have a manual.yet ..is the screw easily accessible ????

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
its on the left side below the chrome carb cover , its maroon in color i think big plastic knob about 1/2" in diameter verticle with a spring. with the engine idleing turn it up till the motor smoothes out. you can get a cheap tach on ebay. there is probably a reference to one in the wkb page https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/5-modifications/tachometers tiny tach in the wkb.you'll need something for maintenance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thks I don't want to.add anything to.my bike no winshield, bags, ......live it the way it is :))))) Thanks fir the info going to my garage right now :)))))

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
one way to tell if your idle is too high

when you are riding in 4th or 5th, if you let off the throttle and the bike feels like its coasting instead of slowing down, your idle is too high.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The only way to know your idle rpm is to use a tack the rest is guesswork .
Absolutely..... it needs to be 950-1050. Too low and it can lead to oil starvation on the top end...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I adjusted it by playing around. Its definitely not too high probably in high 900 ..right now .Before it was too high for my taste
However my bike still doesn't start right away
I push the starter button fir 4 -7 seconds which feels like forever before it start .I know some of you recommend up to 10 + seconds

·
Registered
354 Posts
I adjusted it by playing around. Its definitely not too high probably in high 900 ..right now .Before it was too high for my taste
However my bike still doesn't start right away
I push the starter button fir 4 -7 seconds which feels like forever before it start .I know some of you recommend up to 10 + seconds

Carbs need cleaned. Mine does the same thing. Ive been holding off on doing it because i will be tempted to do other things as well once the tank is off. Floats are sticking that's where the raw fuel smell is coming from. Cycle the key off and on a few times before you restart. The electric fuel should be able to fill the bowels and that will tell you if its vapor lock or a stuck float.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts