Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Raider is my first cruiser and air cooled bike. Love everything about the bike but I'm catching a lot of heat on my leg from the rear cylinder exhaust while waiting at stop lights. Is this normal? Bike is still stock and I've read the ECU flash will lower operating temp. Any other solutions out there?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
When I stop my VS650 on 90F days, I can feel the heat coming up off the engine. Not sure if I sensed it was more off the exhaust or not.

If the bike is stock now and running a bit lean, I know the combustion chamber temps will be higher. Not sure what happens if you make it richer than it needs to be. That will make the combustion chamber burn cooler, but the unburned fuel in the exhaust could make the pipes hotter.

Have to ask the obvious question: are you wearing shorts while riding? I always have jeans on, and even when its hot out I dont find the heat is really a problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I know for me being short in the leg department I do get the same heat. When I stand with both legs down I can feel the extra heat. I have even burned holes in raingear. My fix is I usually keep right foot on board, works good. I've tried the exhaust wrap, helped but I didn't like the look. My stock pipes did stick out more than my cobra exhaust. It's something I just got used to. Yes, KCW, I always wear long pants. 😀

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and now that you mention it I have seen a few riders at stoplights with their right foot on the peg/footboard. Yes I always wear long pants when I ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A cruiser with undertail exhaust might be cool. Anything to lessen the chance of getting burnt. Do these exist?

That's actually one of my biggest dislikes about going from an R6 to a Vstar 1100. Those pipes are damn dangerous! I never burnt myself once in 13 years of riding sport bikes. I burnt myself twice in the first 2 days of owning the vstar.

Yes, In shorts on a hot day at the lights, there is a tremendous about of heat coming from the right side. I also put my foot up on the pegs when I feel it and quickly decided riding in shorts (which i never did on the sportbikes) still was a dumb idea. LOL....

·
Registered
120 Posts
From a course with the State Police, the reason to have the foot on the right peg/floorboard is to have your foot on the brake, so that your right is freed up to roll the throttle in case you need to make an emergency maneuver.

Seat height and leg length may also play in to that, that its easier to lean to one side than tip toe for an extended light cycle.

As for the exhaust on the Raider, with the stock exhaust and all the heat shields on it, with a pair of jeans on during summer heat stopped and waiting on a long light or a toll bridge, I really don't feel there is an uncomfortable amount of heat coming off the pipes or engine. Granted aftermarket exhaust and personal comfort levels can all make the ride different for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I almost bought this several years ago, couldn't justify price, started keeping right foot on board.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was a concern for me when I first got my Raider. It's normal. I believe I read the oil pump or something is right there. I like to keep my left foot up at lights for the gear lever so I keep my right leg out as far as I can. I did wear shorts once. That didn't turn out well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts