Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temps we've had around Phoenix the last few days, thought i'd remind everyone to dress appropriately when riding out there! As odd as it may seem, it's actually cooler to ride with a good jacket, gloves, and face protection than without when it gets this hot out (also a lot safer!). You may have to pour the sweat out of your boots when you're done, but you'll get there! Also, be sure to drink a lot of water!

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Agreed! There is a temp / humidity level where the air blast makes your body temp increase. If you are not wearing a wind breaker it just strips all the water out of your body and you get dehydrated quickly.

I remember the first time I drove through Georgia in an air cooled VW. Use to turn the wing vents all the way backwards so the air would blast on you. When it was over 100° it felt worst with the airblast, like you were getting cooked by the flow of hot air.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually wear finger-less gloves when I ride but the other day it was so hot on the freeway that my knuckles started to burn so I switched over to a pair of full gloves. The different is very noticeable. The less exposed skin the better in this kind of temperature!

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
one way to tell if you are dehydrated is the color of your urine.

If its nearly clear or bright yellow you are ok. If its yellow orange you are not drinking enough water.

If it looks more orange or light brown you are past the tipping point and you need to get an IV - its too late at that point to recover by drinking water, your kidneys are shutting down.

Its very dangerous. When you are dehydrated your pulse increases, 120 when you are sitting down, because your fluid levels are screwed up. Heat stroke can be fatal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts