Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several of us the live in the greater Houston area. Three of us live within 5 miles of each other. I'm suggesting we get together and go for a ride. I'm open to any ride but below is a route the wife and I ride sometimes. Basically we head to Galveston, grab some lunch, ride the coast down to Freeport, then back home. Route is just a suggestion, any destination would work. I'm normally off on Wednesday and Sunday. Anyone interested?

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
Great idea Les!
C’mon Members, get with Les and go for a nice ride, he’s a sucker for great conversation! Have fun and share some pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like this idea, especially the eating part. Family/church stuff takes most of a Sunday for me so I would vote lean towards Wednesdays. I'm actually retired so most any day is a good ride day. Hopefully others will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good mikearc095, let's see if any others want to join in. Is there an other route you would be interested in. There's a shorter route wife and I ride, just takes a few hours and away from most traffic.

It's my variation of The Fulshear 44.
The Fulshear 44 in Texas | Texas Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

It's hard not having to drive in a lot of traffic to enjoy a quiet ride. Let me know your thought.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My wife and I actually lived in Fulshear for two years back in the late 90s. It was a notorious speed trap then. About 1 cop for every 40 residents. As we were about to move, the ABC news magazine 20/20 did an expose on the Chief of Police of Fulshear, TX. He had been married to a slew of women, had falsified his credentials...all kinds of shenanigans. Was *very* weird to see a national news story on it.

It was an all-around *strange* place twenty years ago. No idea what it's like now.

From the Texas Monthly Bum Steer awards of the year 2000:

The Charge Was BigBigBigBigBigBigBigBigBigamy
Ben Villar, the police chief of Fulshear, was charged with bigamy and indicted by a Fort Bend County grand jury after officials mistakenly mailed his license from a 1998 marriage to his wife of eight years, who discovered she was one of ten women Villar had wed since 1966.

Also, found this on the interwebs:

August 4, 2000
FULSHEAR, Texas - Prosecutors have dropped a bigamy charge against former
police chief Ben Villar due to lack of evidence. Villar, 53, who resigned in
April, still faces forgery and tampering charges. Villar was the subject of
an ABC-TV 20/20 program in October 1999 that accused him of marrying ten
women, some at the same time, and bilking them out of thousands of dollars.

weird, wild stuff...

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fulshear has recovered and has expanded a lot. There are people moving out there and driving into Houston for work. It's strange you bring up the Villar case. During this time I owned a print shop and printed his business cards and ticket books. When he was being investigated my accounting books were subpoenaed for any of his purchases. Seemed he had two sets of ticket books going. The second set didn't have any tracking numbers on them and was used when he collected cash on the spot. Luckily I kept good books and could show I only printed the official ones. I did end up eating a few thousand dollars in unpaid invoices.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fulshear has recovered and has expanded a lot. There are people moving out there and driving into Houston for work. It's strange you bring up the Villar case. During this time I owned a print shop and printed his business cards and ticket books. When he was being investigated my accounting books were subpoenaed for any of his purchases. Seemed he had two sets of ticket books going. The second set didn't have any tracking numbers on them and was used when he collected cash on the spot. Luckily I kept good books and could show I only printed the official ones. I did end up eating a few thousand dollars in unpaid invoices.
Ha, small world! The entire pop. of Fulshear, when we lived there, was about 400 people (not including the rich-folk community outside the city limits). On the monthly or bi-weekly (or whatever it was) court dates for traffic citations, that little municipal building was overflowing. I was a resident and got 3-mph-over-the-limit ticket once, along with a traffic safety lecture from Barney Fife II. They had a real racket going. No telling how much cash Villar took in offa those "fake" tickets.

Crazy that you were involved even tangentially in the Villar thing (and that you lost money on him)! Hadn't thought about it in years and years until I saw your map this morning.

The reason why we were in Fulshear in the first place was that my wife, who is a children's librarian, had just got her first job at the newly built "Bob Lutts Fulshear-Simonton Ft. Bend County Library." I type it all out that way because Bob Lutts was a local politician who was at least partially responsible for the building of the library. He called a couple of times a week the first year or two to make sure that when the staff answered the phone, they included the "Bob Lutts" part at the beginning. If they didn't, he raised hell.

(Sorry to thread-jack your ride route post. No more from me on the intricate turn-of-the-millenium history of Fulshear, TX.)

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cliffieg, library still there. For grins Google Map the area and you will be surprised, Katy has grown west into Fulshear. You have to get west of Fulshear to get out of new subdivisions. You are not thread jacking, just adding info on possible route.

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another route possible I've taken before to get some wind therapy. It would be nice to get a few together, ride a little, lunch and ride a little more. The Galveston route is about 6 hours, the other two are between 2 and 3 hours, depending on lunch. Let's make one of these happen.

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Life has kept me busy lately and have had very little riding time except commuting. My wife will be out of town the weekends of August 4 and 11. So I see some an excellent opportunity to get some riding in. I'll be off on both the Sundays and would like to plan a short ride. I'm leaning towards the Bellville loop. We could leave around 9am before it get to hot, eat an early lunch in Belleville, then head back. It is about 2.5 hours ride time round trip, throw lunch and maybe another stop so a total of 4 hours or so. I invite any and all to join me. Definitely bring a passenger if you wish. Either Sunday is good with me. So look at your calendar and see if you are open. I know of 4 of us in the Katy/Cypress area. Can we get together?

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great!!! I'm game for meeting you about half way, then we can team up with blackadder and do our loop. Which way do you think you will be coming down?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I will either spend Saturday night in Belton or College Station. The map sez Belton to Sugarland will be about 3 hours, College Station a little under 2. So, most likely CS. I can stay with my daughter, get up really early and take 6 to Hempstead, I guess. Or whatever route I need to take to meet up with the pack. I'll meet y'all wherever is most convenient.

I guess I should caveat all that by saying I'll need some decent weather on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in order to do the ride. Goes without saying, I guess, but I'll say it anyway.

I'll stay tuned. Y'all pick your best route and day, I'll do whatever I can to make it down there. Don't plan anything around me. It's y'alls ride. I'm just tagging along -- I hope.

·
Registered
481 Posts
UPDATE: forecasts are iffy. 20-30% chances of rain Saturday and Sunday. That may change.

Doesn't it shower somewhere in the Houston area just about every summer afternoon? This is probably not a big deal. I'm watching for a change in the forecast and contemplating taking my chances even if nothing changes. It showered on me a couple of times the last time I biked in Houston. It was bit nerve-wracking driving on a wet road along Bissonett in traffic heading for the Cycle Gear store.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts