Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the jist of how many miles one gets out of their tires, front/rear, I was just wondring who goes how far, ie- no tread groves (slick) or some tread or right till cords(too-far) showing?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It just falls out naturally. Oh you were talking about tires. To the wear bars,maybe a little longer.It will still have some what of a groove.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
i usually just eyeball it. i know about how many miles to expect out of a particular tire when i put it on, so i start to check it before it gets to that point. if it looks pretty worn down, and it's been X amount of miles that coincides with its expected lifespan, i replace it.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Depends on what is in my plans as the tire approaches the wear indicators. If I am only commuting I'll schedule a new tire after it hits the wear indicators. If I'm going to take an interstate trip with it I'll change it sooner. It also depends on the time of year, if I hit the wear bars and I'm almost at the end of riding weather for the year, I'll run it longer, let the bike sit on the **** tire all winter and change it in the spring.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I concur with all of the above and I add the time factor. This one is more for people like me who bought thier ride from an independent owner. When I bought my bike, I looked at the tires and didn't get a warm and fuzzy about them. they had lots of thread left but were over 5 years old. Only got 2 tires on the road; make sure they're in the best shape possible.

Ride safe.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I get the jist of how many miles one gets out of their tires, front/rear, I was just wondring who goes how far, ie- no tread groves (slick) or some tread or right till cords(too-far) showing?

About 1000 miles left on it:

·
Registered
441 Posts
About 1000 miles left on it:

Mine is much slicker than that. Rode 80+ miles yesterday on it. I'm not crazy about it but no issues yet. Waitin on that darn refund check to come, then it's new rubber for the ol' girl.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts