Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a chopper / bobber from a 650 vstar and would like to eliminate the fuel pump and go gravity feed instead . I alreay have a peanut tank and done a few things but can not find any writeups on how to eliminate the fuel pump yet. any help would be greatfully appreciated.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This may be a dumb comment, but .... What happens when you run a line directly from the petcock to the the carb?
the carb inlet is higher than the bottom of the tank so where ever the carb inlet aligns with the tank that is going to be the point where fuel flow stops, what ever fuel is above the carb inlet will gravity feed and what fuel is below it won't gravity feed, i would say with a gravity feed you won't be able to use the last 1/3 of fuel in the tank, so if you don't mind losing 1/3 of your available mileage put a gravity line in, i keep a length of fuel line so in a pinch i could run a gravity line until i got a new pump, but i would have to remember not to let the tank get much lower than half using that line

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
the carb inlet is higher than the bottom of the tank so where ever the carb inlet aligns with the tank that is going to be the point where fuel flow stops, what ever fuel is above the carb inlet will gravity feed and what fuel is below it won't gravity feed, i would say with a gravity feed you won't be able to use the last 1/3 of fuel in the tank, so if you don't mind losing 1/3 of your available mileage put a gravity line in
I am picking up what you are putting down. So if he has changed the tank to a peanut style, the petcock may be higher than the normal locale on a regular 650 tank and may not lose tank mileage. OR I could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
putting a peanut tank on a 650 you probably wont have 4.7 gallons of capacity anymore

but as long as the entire tank is above the float bowls on the carbs you should be able to run the new tank dry.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A peanut tank will sit above the carbs so gravity should work. The peanut is typically about 2.4 gallons, the king peanut holds about 3.2 gallons... of course the exact capacities are dependent upon manufacturer and whether it's a high or low tunnel tank.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A peanut tank will sit above the carbs so gravity should work. The peanut is typically about 2.4 gallons, the king peanut holds about 3.2 gallons... of course the exact capacities are dependent upon manufacturer and whether it's a high or low tunnel tank.
the inlet is just a hair lower than the frame tube so your right the peanut tank in the photo will drain to the bottom, that is some crazy looking exhaust on that bike. look at the work that went into the rear brake linkage/pedal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts