Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple of boot scuffs on my bags.

The guy I bought the bike from believed the bags to be "naugahyde." But being the kind of guy who investigates things I have discovered that, nope, they are genuine leather coverings.

What kind of genuine leather, or how to care for them (especially buffing/polishing out scuffs) has been considerably more elusive.

What products and maintenance tricks have been successful?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bags

Michaeld,

If you have deep scuffs I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I have a couple of small ones that are just there.

Cleaning the bags with sadlesoap or Murphey's Oil soap might bring some of it out. Then use Doc Bailey's Leather Black to restore the color. My bags were looking dull. I cleaned them then used Doc Bailey's Leather Black. They looked new, except the little dents into the leather from dropping it in gravel. I see it in most motorcycle leather shops.

By the way Yamaha recommends Mink Oil. I have also used that with good success.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liner Dave,

Thanks a lot. I truly appreciate it.

My original owner has been using Turtle Wax Super Protectant because he thought it was artificial leather. He gave me the rest of his bottle - and I bought a new bottle of the stuff myself.

It'll still be great for the seats.

I'll let the Turtle Wax stuff "dry out" and then start using Mink Oil.

I don't have anything "deep." Most of it is boot scuffs.

I always wear a large knee brace on my left knee when I ride, and often wear braces on both knees. That makes it quite a bit harder to swing my leg over the high sissy bar and the bags. I say bad words every time I've felt my foot make contact with those bags.

I realized if I was going to do anything about the problem I'd have to start by finding out what the darn bags were even made of.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dr Bailey's leather black

Michaeld,

If you have deep scuffs I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I have a couple of small ones that are just there.

Cleaning the bags with sadlesoap or Murphey's Oil soap might bring some of it out. Then use Doc Bailey's Leather Black to restore the color. My bags were looking dull. I cleaned them then used Doc Bailey's Leather Black. They looked new, except the little dents into the leather from dropping it in gravel. I see it in most motorcycle leather shops.

By the way Yamaha recommends Mink Oil. I have also used that with good success.

Dave
Dave is right. Dr Baileys leather black can make your bags look BETTER than new. it will also make the leather waterproof. if you have scratches that have that rough tore look i have read that you can sand it smooth but you are supposed to put some kind of leather "glue" on then the leather gets hard and you can sand the scuff smooth. i haven't used the dr baileys but my brother has. he had a couple bad scuffs. after the leather black they looked like new but if you looked hard you could find the scuffs. my plan it to apply the dr B and then sand the scuff, then reapply Dr B leather black to hide the sanding. very fine sand paper by the way. search the web.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I use mink oil on mine. About 3 times per season. Not quite a spit-shine, but who can tell at 70 mph?;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Try black shoe polish. That's what I used on my Mustang seat. Made the scuffs practically disappear... I just had to polish the crap out of it because I didn't want any black "skidmarks" on my blue jeans! Hahaha

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have my underwear color coded to ensure I don't put them on backwards when I'm not quite awake in the morning, it's yellow in the front, brown in the back.

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 on the shoe polish paste and I kept putting on as many layers until I was happy with the sheen then I finished it with ProtectAll because it has Carnauba wax to keep that shining for a loooooong time. After that, you just need to use ProtectAll to maintain the shine. Super easy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I asked a friend of mine who build custom furniture how to take care of just such an issue. His advice to me was. Distressed leather is more exotic and cost more if I didn't like it he would recover them with new cheap leather that looks fake. A little saddle soap to clean and mink oil to protect and preserve. My little grand daughters like to go for short rides and the think thats where you put your feet. Ouch !!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of you guys may have come up with a BETTER solution to my problem, but I did a fair job of it.

Since we were coming into rain season, and since my primary interest is preserving the leather even above how it looks, and since Yamaha says you should use mink oil, I used mink oil.

I had tried the paste - which WAS JUST AWFUL. I'd had a hard time getting it on and then an even harder time trying to rub it in.

This time I used the mink oil in liquid form. I poured a little oil at a time into a small container and applied it to the bags with a paint brush. Got all leather surfaces of both bags (including the undersides which people can't see but is probably the MOST important to maintain) in around a half an hour.

The oil didn't dry at the same rate, and it looked a little hoaky for a couple of days, but after that it looked great. And it seemed to do a pretty good job on the scuffs all by itself.

Now I'm trying to figure out how often I need to re-apply the oil.

I live in the California desert so HOT DRYING SUN is a bigger problem than rain. My bike is garaged, but sun and drying is a significant problem. And in my sunny domain I'm a year round rider. I'm thinking every three months. Does that sound about right???

P.S. I also got Turtle Wax Super Protectant (which has UV protection) and Turtle Wax Leather Conditioner. Possibly in a fit of temporary insanity.

P.P.S. Wolf Creek Willie's granddaughter is hereforeafter banned from my bike. Good thing she's got a willing sucker in her grandpa (aforementioned grandpas being well-known to be suckers for their granddaughters).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts