Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only own a bike

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
There are many ways people use their motorcycle, from fair weather weekend warrior to die hard only have a motorcycle riders. Not saying any response makes you more of a "Biker" than another, juscurious. Which are you?

I'll start. My rule is if I get to work dry, I ride. Yes, I have a rainsuit but prefer not to take the time to waterproof myself, I leave for work at 5am. Winter time I layer up. Summer time is the roughest time due to heat.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am a fair weather guy. I carry my laptop with me that has all of my work stuff on it. If it gets too wet it could cause me more trouble to try and reclaim it. Sure I can leave it at work if the weather is too bad but sometimes I do need to do the old work from home thing...So it is better to be safe than sorry in my case. I do have a trash bag in the saddlebags if I get caught out by a surprise storm but sometimes finding a safe place to pull over could take miles...so I would say I really prefer sunny and warm...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride every chance I can. But I also have a car. Right now, until I get heated gear, that means when it's dry(ish) and 45 or over when I walk out the door.

I do want to add these weasley words though. This is the Rookie method. Not by far the "right" nor only method. If I see you doing you, I'll wave.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I used to ride to work only on nice days but this year I started riding every day, rain or shine. If it's pouring really hard (bouncing off the pavement hard) in the am I'll probably take the car, but with my rain suit I don't mind a little rain and my commute is only 10 minutes so not a big deal. I usually just pull on my rain pants and the windshield keeps the rest of me dry enough. Except for a family trip last weekend I haven't driven a car for over a month. Actually, my son's car is broken down so he's been using mine to go to work so I've been riding everywhere. Unfortunately it won't be long before I'll have to park her for the winter...sigh.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last time I owned a car was 2002. I am so glad I got Cherry now If they have to keep The Strat waiting for parts I don't have to rent a car.
From 1973 to 1988 I only owned a bike. My wife always had one but I didn't. I remember once I had to put her car in the shop and taking the boys to school one at a time, remember I have 4 sons, then take the wife to work. That was a long morning, but everyone made it on time. Then one time when I got her a new car I kept her old one for such emergencies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was torn between Only on pretty weekends, and Commute on pretty days. Only because I work at home, so commuting is not part of my day.

Ride in my spare time, would be more accurate in my life.

And I'll add this, if you have to work for a living, working from home is about the best thing EVER!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I retired my wife and I got rid of the car, All we have are the bikes now, I am picking the 2006 Strat I bought in Daytona next week. Then we will have a 650 Classic and the Stratoliner.
This is nothing new to me , but the wife is getting used to it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I ride to work as long as the rain percentage is 50% & below.
I get to ride 1 day out of the 8 weekend days. The other weekends I'm with the wife & kid. So, its cage time.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
For us , Monica will ride to work and ride weekends with family/friends and for a charity ride and for just getting away from it all.
For me, I’m semi retired, I won’t ride to work because I’m in uniform and with all the gear im 27.8 heavier. There’s times where it’s simply too hot to be relaxing such as right now. Im more a Spring and Fall rider. When the leaves change and it’s in the 50’s, im on my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Unfortunately it won't be long before I'll have to park her for the winter...sigh.
BUMMER! Wow. About when do you have to put it away?

Cold weather isn't even on the horizon here. My truck told me it was 101F in the shade yesterday. Looking forward to some football weather -- BUT NOT WINTER.

BTW, my situation isn't one of the options. No job. I ride whenever I don't have to haul someone or something or if it's too damn hot. Also don't like riding the big city roads when wet. Spooky enough when dry.

Ok, sometimes I ride when it's too damn hot. I usually regret it. I got stuck in freeway traffic recently on one of those 100 degree afternoons. Hot, hot, hot. Hot pavement. Hot sun. Hot exhausts all around me. Hot vstar between the knees. Stop and go. Stop and go. Feathering the clutch or walking the bike constantly. I avoid that whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I take the star every chance i get. I do have rain gear and don't mind riding in the rain. But i hate having to take the time to re-polish it. The last 8 weeks i used 1/2 tank in my truck. Had to put $20 in it because i didn't want the gas to go bad. Usually get it out by st patty's day once salt is washed off the roads. Usually gets put away a week before thanksgiving. i have ridden in as low as 25*. That was with my vtx with injection but a don't believe the star will be any different.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The last time I owned a car was 2002. I am so glad I got Cherry now If they have to keep The Strat waiting for parts I don't have to rent a car.
Y Pat, U da MAN!

I have just had a couple of short term periods where I only had a bike and those weren't too bad, but I was young.

For about 6 months when I was in high school I commuted to the next town for school and work, 20 mi. round trip. Mostly fun. At my last duty station in the AF I had only a bike for about 6 months, 1975. Hauling groceries and laundry and a 60 mile round trip commute to work in winter was rough, but it all got done. One 600 mile round trip for 4 week school. Rained on me most of the way there. I fell asleep once on the way home. I was wide awake the rest of the way.

·
Registered
447 Posts
From 1998 to 2007 the only thing I owned was my zx11. Rain, snow, everything I road in, tried not to ride in ice though.

Now I ride every change I get, but due to the kids, and the 2yr old, it's limited, but every time I can I do.
The 2yr old loves to ride on the dirtbike with me though, she begs to go out on it.

I have never owned rain gear though. I just get wet, then try off quick enough it doesn't really matter. The only issue I have had with rain is if I drive through a puddle deep enough to get water down the top of my boots.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I try to ride whenever possible, I don't like riding in the rain at all. This year has been terrible, raining all the time here. My drive is only 7 minutes to work so I don't get to put a lot of miles on the bike. My days off are wed, Thur, and Sunday. And Sunday is spent with the family. The annual bike rally is coming up next month so I do take off work all 4 days for that. I'm usually lucky to ride 1000 miles a year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Had to put $20 in it because i didn't want the gas to go bad. .
Was that 20 real dollars or those virtual dollars you guys use up dere, eh? >:)

I been learning to speak Canadian in case I have to make a run from the authorities. Oh wait. You're in packer country. But you speak Canadian, right? So 20 real dollars?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts