Votes: 48 16.8%

Votes: 37 13.0%

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
13,000 miles total…about 12,500 came in 2010, 2011 and first half of 2012 before I wrecked.

Just got into it again this year; bought a bike in July. Only 600 miles so far as I ease back into it.

On a side note, 99.9% of Cagers have been respectful during this stretch with only three incidents that I would consider threatening (old lady coming at me, down a hill and around a curve, was halfway into my oncoming lane; a lady with heavy traffic in her lane ALMOST pulled across my right of way but stopped quickly; the old man who made an unnecessary wide left turn in front of me, after I started to go around him - my fault - and I ended up going at his left front fender - this led to my wreck)

·
Registered
346 Posts
About 50k + in the last 4 years since I started Commuting on a motorcycle.

If I continue to live where I do and work where I do I image that number will double in a few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In 1973 My wife and I rode year round on a BMW with a side car in the winter, we were doing over 20,000 miles a year back then. In 1976 we posted 100,000 miles with Road Rider and I did over 900 miles in 24 hours. Last year was a slow year and we only posted a little over 6000 miles. I would estimate that we have well over 300,000 miles on 30 different bikes in the last 50 years. None of that counts as much as the fact that we have had NO major accidents in that time including my riding back and forth to work at night in deer country.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When i taught/showed my son how to ride I told him the most important thing was everyone (drivers) are out to get you, not on purpose but by indifference neglect or poor driving. so beware dont assume they are turning/stopping passing . this has been my way since 1955. i congratulate you on your awesome journeys Glenn

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
a million miles in 40 years is averaging 25,000 miles per year. impressive
if the mini bike i got when i was 10 or the honda 90 at 12 counts then i'v been riding better than 50 years i don't know how many miles i put on them but i know i wore them both out the 90 wore out twice

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, no, no SugarBear, you've misunderstood the poll. This is not about number of trips to the bathroom during the night . . . .

:D
I resemble that remark!!!!
Been riding over 50 years and no idea how many miles I've done because it's a joy just to get out. Do know that there were times I felt like I had been riden hard and put away wet(horse term)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Started riding again in 2005 on a new '05 750 Aero. 3 years & 60,000 miles later I sold it, and bought a leftover
'07 VTX 1300 S with 1 mile on the odo. That bike died at 128,000 miles.

I then bought a used '05 VTX 1300 S put about 1, 500 miles on it.

Sold that to buy my currant bike, A new leftover 2014 VStar 1300 Tourer, which had 3 miles on the odo.

Picked it up late April. It now has 3,049 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
you know we cannot update this poll over the years...

Ive added 20,000 miles since I joined the forum 4 years ago.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too have no idea how many total miles I've ridden. I started when I was 17 so that's nearly 30 years ago now. I still have my original bike which my son is now learning how to ride. I know that i have put just over 5000 on my vstar since I bought it in June just going back and forth to work though. I'd guess all of the bikes combined, over 30 years or so of riding, probably come out to around 100,000 or so but that's only a rough guess.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm certain that I must be well up into the 100,000 mile club these days. I began riding 37 years ago, and though there have been some short breaks in between, I have traveled great distances, covered a lot of territory. I spent years buzzing all of over the vast province of Ontario in the early 1980's, and had a blast on that tiny little, brand new, underpowered single-cylinder, two stroke, air-cooled 1980 Kawasaki KH100EL, with its top speed of 55 mph. (with a strong tailwind) That thing put out an amazing 9.6 hp, and gave me an honest to goodness 110 mpg. Life was good. I still have a pic of me proudly sitting on it, on the day I bought that shiny new Kawasaki with my own hard-earned money. I was so proud! Here is a pic of me sitting on it the very day I rode it home from the dealership. Note the sexy snowmobile helmet and chin guard, and the brown corduroy pants and matching brown corduroy jacket. Cool! And runners without socks were all the rage back then. No eye protection, gloves, riding boots, etc for this cool dude. (who was completely invincible at 18 years of age!) Safety gear was for sissies.

I have ridden a LOT of miles, and no way to know just how many, but I have been very fortunate to have never had a single mishap, not even a close call, in all of these years. Call it fantastic luck if you may, but I like to think some of it may be due to the fact I have never gone out there looking to act like a show-off-y jackass. The way people ride nowadays is deeply disturbing, and then they wonder why fatalities are way up in recent years. Sheesh. Come to think of it, I have never laid a bike down ever in my life. Not so much as an embarrassing stationary drop in the driveway. I suppose this means my time is coming?? We'll see.

Man, I would LOVE to have this fun little classic bike in my garage today. So many great memories over the years! Check out that stach!

now fast-forward some 37 years to 2017, and here is one of my current rides.
[

and now my Missus has gotten on the bandwagon while in her mid-fifties. We are having WAY too much fun at this game!

I am now 55 years old and unfortunately in pretty poor health, including a severe and unfortunately permanent upper spinal injury, which keeps me bedridden for 20-22 hours/day for the past 13 years, but I have learned to make the very most of those 2-4 precious hours each day that allow me to actually have some fun! Life is Good!!!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
955 Posts
Funny I found this poll. I was having a conversation with an associate the other day. We were talking mileage ridden. He said ... "Riding to and from work doesn't count." To which I said, OH HELL YES it does! If my butt is in the seat & not the pillion. Then I am putting mileage on the bike.
Am I wrong in my thought process?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Riding to work doesnt count?!

Sometimes when you are having a really crappy day, getting to ride a motorcycle to work and back may be the highlight of the day.

Many many times on a nice day I take "the scenic route" home, which can be anything from a short diversion of a few miles to ride thru two parks, to a two hour excursion totally out of my way.

I have never done that in my car.

On a motorcycle, its not the destination, its the journey.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree. Riding to work totally counts! I have had days where riding in my car home made the day even worse due to traffic. Riding my bike home from work gives me that hour to unwind before I even get home!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Harley so I spend most of the time polishing, posing, spouting bigotry, decrying technological advancement of these dangfool modern contraptions and then more posing

41 - 60 of 88 Posts