Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 105f, 41c

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 110f plus, 43c

Votes: 4 10.0%
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
2015 XVS650 Raven
High summer, it was 100 + or - my black 650 was parked in the sun for most of the day. As I saddled up at 3:00PM I heard a hissing sound and felt a sort of vibration through the seat. The gasoline in my fuel tank was boiling. I did not think that was possible. Poured a gallon of cold water over the tank and rode home. Now I carry a small towel with me and cover the tank when parked for an extended period in the summer sun.

Registered
Anything over 95 is questionable for me, humidity also plays apart in my decision to ride as well. Spent 5 years living San Antonio and summer South Texas is generally the not the time to ride:(. Fall, Winter and Spring are by far the best times to ride, just consider summer as your winter and park it. :)

Registered
I'm with @faffi here, 60/65 is a great temp when the sun's out and no wind. I enjoy wearing leathers and light to medium gloves. So that gives me the most protection along with comfort. When it gets hot I may only ride with boots, jeans, t-shirt, and helmet. At that point as long as you're moving temps nearing 100 are still bearable. But I don't have many cities to deal with stop and go traffic. If that were the case I'd lower my top end temp.
I am with @Brad_G and @faffi. I voted for 85 but give me a nice sunny 65* day and i am in heaven. Neverguess what part of the states i am from. After 85 when you have to stop in traffic it sucks. Yesterday riding home form work it was 100* and ultra humid that sucked bad. I took a different way home so i didn't have to stop in usual traffic back-ups.

Registered
I'm in Vegas the last two years, formerly in Denver for 40 years before that. Riding can end in Nov.-Apr., even in May with a spring snow, but you can have sunny and 60's in Dec. or Feb. in Denver
Vegas can be 110 @ midnight in the summer, but you can ride all winter long. Over 100 with sun and heat off the pavement it's like a blow dryer on the hands. Long sleeves and gloves are a necessity. I'm cautious to ride without leather on top but at 90 degrees plus it can be really uncomfortable with more than a T-shirt. Name your poison. I've laid the bike down twice in the last year with my jacket on with minimal damage to me. The roads here are very slick as the heat causes the tar to rise and gravel gets pushed down. With minimal water, they are as slick as Denver with a tiny bit of sleet/snow. 99 V-Star 1100 custom, been riding 54 years. City riding is very dangerous, trust no one. Roger Ramjet

Premium Member
I selected 110* but I don鈥檛 know if there is a too hot. I rode this weekend and it was 104* and I still enjoyed it. I can ride in temps near zero aswell. As long as I鈥檓 having fun it doesn鈥檛 bother me too much what the temp is.
With that, you say you moved to the Texas hill country, do you ever ride Lime Creek Road around Lake Travis?

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
With that, you say you moved to the Texas hill country, do you ever ride Lime Creek Road around Lake Travis?
Haven't ventured that far north yet. I moved two months ago less than 10 miles south of Bandera on Lake Medina. I'm still exploring the roads around here. Always end up on at least one leg of the Twisted Sisters weekly.

Reactions: Cliffieg

Premium Member
Haven't ventured that far north yet. I moved two months ago less than 10 miles south of Bandera on Lake Medina. I'm still exploring the roads around here. Always end up on at least one leg of the Twisted Sisters weekly.
Ok, yeah your still pretty far south west of Austin area. I haven鈥檛 ridden the sisters but hear it鈥檚 fun. LCR isn鈥檛 super long but has a ton of turns and hair pins running up the East side of lake Travis and is pretty fun to run. Corners range from 15-30mph posted speed limits and the highest straight is 45mph posted. A lot of cool super cars, bikes, sports cars ect go up there on the weekends to do some runs up and down. Lots of cool people and cool machines meet up in the area before they run. I took my hayabusa there this weekend and took my 1100 there last month. There鈥檚 also several photographers(real cool guys) that like to sit out there and take pics of the cars and bikes running up and down and they post them on Instagram. Here鈥檚 some from my run up there on my 1100.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Helmet Tire Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

Jeans Tire Wheel Photograph Fuel tank

Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
The older I get (nearing adulthood now) the more careful I have to watch overheating and overexerting. Have had more than one episode of light head. When I ride I want to ride, not stop for food, water, or cooling off. I'm going to have to learn.

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, yeah your still pretty far south west of Austin area. I haven鈥檛 ridden the sisters but hear it鈥檚 fun. LCR isn鈥檛 super long but has a ton of turns and hair pins running up the East side of lake Travis and is pretty fun to run. Corners range from 15-30mph posted speed limits and the highest straight is 45mph posted. A lot of cool super cars, bikes, sports cars ect go up there on the weekends to do some runs up and down. Lots of cool people and cool machines meet up in the area before they run. I took my hayabusa there this weekend and took my 1100 there last month. There鈥檚 also several photographers(real cool guys) that like to sit out there and take pics of the cars and bikes running up and down and they post them on Instagram. Here鈥檚 some from my run up there on my 1100.

View attachment 118041
View attachment 118042
View attachment 118040
View attachment 118043
Very nice, didn't realize we were that close to each other. Definitely need to get together when temps cool down some. Come on down anytime you want to ride the Twisted Sisters and other local runs. Best to come during weekdays if you can, gets pretty crowded during weekends, but if you ride early it's not to crowded.

Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
This past weekend I rode to Des Moines (~130 miles) to babysit my grandson. Instead of interstate I took the 2-lane roads. It was 90/95 when I rode up and back. Sunscreen to avoid burns to the exposed arms. I mounted a cheap $5 bottle holder for a bicycle on the crash bar. I have a Contigo insulated mug that is great at keeping things hot/cold and doesn't leak even with the vibrations of the bike. I put a couple ice cubes in it and some cold sweet tea and I have something to drink while rolling down the road. Helps on those hot summer days.

Registered
2007 VStar 1300
I checked 100潞, but in reality, it depends how I feel that day and how bad I'm itchin' to ride. Have not had a burning desire lately, but the two times I took real rides this month, the temps were in the 90's.
The cold bugs me much more.

Registered
2007 VStar 1300
In SE PA it has been 90掳-ish which can be ok, except the air is look soup broth...without the aroma or flavor. (Maybe if it smelled like chicken soup outside it wouldn't seem so bad).
Miserable humid. I don't know how you folks in the really hot areas are dealing with it.

Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Early AM riding is all I'm doing for the next week or so. I don't really mind the heat all that much if I'm moving, but there's a point it's just not as enjoyable as others. Wereat that point right now.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Registered
Early AM riding is all I'm doing for the next week or so. I don't really mind the heat all that much if I'm moving, but there's a point it's just not as enjoyable as others. Wereat that point right now.

View attachment 118851
That's nice weather! Getting only to mid 90s here. Been taking car lately for the ac most of the time!

Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
Early AM riding is all I'm doing for the next week or so...
I was thinking this just the other day. There really isn't any day that's too hot to ride, you just have to get out of bed early and git'r done. Around here, at this time of year, the daylight is fully up by 5 AM. I could burn 2 tanks of gas and still be home by 10 AM. Not saying that I do that, but I could, so it's really a matter of choice.

Reactions: Jspree and lesblank
21 - 40 of 47 Posts