Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a new battery and plugs installed in my '09 1300 because both original. Local indie shop talked me out of another Yuasa battery, but that's another story.

Anyway, picked up bike and noticed popping upon acceleration and a little hesitation. Seemed to smooth out the more I rode so kept heading home. I've taken the bike on a few short rides since but it just doesn't feel right, hard to put my finger on it. I noticed tonight it hesitated between 1 & 2 as I pulled away from a stop sign. Bike has Cobra shorts, Cobra power flo and Cobra FI2000 manager. When I added the power flo, the Cobra rep advised not to bother the fuel manager, just go ride it like I stole it and it will adjust.

Anyone else had any subtle performance issues after battery replacement? I think I'll take it out for good long ride this weekend and try to work out the ECU reset. Hoping that's all it is.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Actually, the FI2000 is reset by disconnecting the battery fro 1 to 2 minutes. Next it requires the engine etc. to be warm and some riding before it adjusts properly. This means you need to ride it for at least 15 minutes.

Generally what is recommended for the FI200 is in order to make an adjustment, to disconnect the battery for 1 to 2 minutes after the adjustment, reconnect, and then ride again. Repeat until happy.

Other than that, some occasional popping appears to remain, in my experience anyway. On my 1300 I have a FI2000R and a Tri-Pro 2-into-1, this one: http://www.cobrausa.com/yamaha/v_star_1300_07_15/motorcycle_exhausts/full_systems/tri_pro_2_into_1/2480/

I also had it tuned on a dyno, with the FI200R, and that makes the curve much smoother, so less drastic engine braking at higher revs when throttling down, and smoother response. Side effect is that it also got about 5 hp more at the wheel :).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Seems the ecu and fms should have both reset with the battery swap. I'll check the fms tonight, don't know why I have not done that already.

Shop said plugs looked great for age. I believe the shop owner's exact words were " you're not hurting it any". Ha, maybe I need to ride more aggressively.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Correct me if wrong, but I don't think either "reset" or at least that is my understanding. Both have non-volatile memory??

If it is the Cobra auto tuner it adjusts fuel settings on the fly while the throttle is engaged. It does not receive any power when ignition is off.

ECU I have read does not reset when disconnected from battery. Am I correct??

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I had my 950, I hated to do anything on the bike where disconnecting the battery was needed. It always took me a good bit of riding for it to start running like it did before.

I was informed that if you only take it for a quick spin around the block, it will re-map to that type of riding until you do the varying types.

I made it a point to ride the bike 10 to 20 miles and get on an expressway for a couple of minutes. It would be back to normal in a day or 2.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I thought I would ask someone who knows ECU's. This from Ivan who does ECU flashes (including mine) for many of the Star models:

"Nothing can reset the ecu.... it's dumb as a brick. The only way to change anything is to flash it. (re-program)

Disconnecting the battery does nothing"

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct me if wrong, but I don't think either "reset" or at least that is my understanding. Both have non-volatile memory??

If it is the Cobra auto tuner it adjusts fuel settings on the fly while the throttle is engaged. It does not receive any power when ignition is off.

ECU I have read does not reset when disconnected from battery. Am I correct??
Did you ask Ivan how that flash for the 1300 was coming along? :-D

If so, then it could be an issue with the Cobra FI2000. I would check it tonight but I've been mowing and now three beers deep into a nice sixer of craft beer.

I appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Did you ask Ivan how that flash for the 1300 was coming along? :-D

If so, then it could be an issue with the Cobra FI2000. I would check it tonight but I've been mowing and now three beers deep into a nice sixer of craft beer.

I appreciate all the input.
Didn't ask but his web site says he is still looking for demo bikes .. free flash if you offer yours up

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vstar13.htm

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Ivan is right when It comes to the standard Star/Yamaha ECU. With the Cobra FI200, after changing settings, you either disconnect it from the battery for one or two minutes., or ride with it for 15 minutes or thereabouts for it to "stabilize".

When the engine is cold, riding it for 15 minutes is not a problem, because you really need the engine to be warmed up before you can establish whether the setting of the FI2000 is correct for your bike.

If you are experimenting, and the engine is hot, it gets to be a bit of a drag, especially when doing the last bits of finetuning.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rode for a good hour yesterday; back roads and 4 lane so able to work through gears pretty well. Running well now. The perceived sluggishness is gone, the usual popping on hard decel still there, but everything seems normal now. Maybe the FI2000 needed a few more miles after battery swap. Maybe I just had a bad day as an Op the other day.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
There actually is some popping on decel with standard EFI as well, BTW, just not as pronounced as with open exhausts.

On the XVS1300A it was quite bad with the V&H longshots that it came with; with the Cobra Tri-Pro and an FI2000R it got a lot less, fortunately. Still a bit too loud If you'd ask me, but the overall sound of the bike was quite nice.

On my current ride, the XV1900A, it tends to pop a little on decel when the engine is still quite cold. However, with the standard exhaust that is certainly not a heart-stopping experience (for innocent bystanders and such) as with the V&Hs on the XVS1300A before :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There actually is some popping on decel with standard EFI as well, BTW, just not as pronounced as with open exhausts.

On the XVS1300A it was quite bad with the V&H longshots that it came with; with the Cobra Tri-Pro and an FI2000R it got a lot less, fortunately. Still a bit too loud If you'd ask me, but the overall sound of the bike was quite nice.

On my current ride, the XV1900A, it tends to pop a little on decel when the engine is still quite cold. However, with the standard exhaust that is certainly not a heart-stopping experience (for innocent bystanders and such) as with the V&Hs on the XVS1300A before :).

Kind regards, Wim
I really like the look of the tri-pro pipe. I realize the decel pop is normal, actually anticipate it now when I kick it down a gear.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The Tri-Pro is an absolute stunner, and really fits the XVS1300A very well, if you'd ask me :).

The nice thing is that it isn't ear-piercing from a noise POV, it really only emits low sound, very nice indeed. I did actually wrap some damping cloth around the baffle as well, to eliminate the higher frequencies even further, even though without this it was really fine already, there wasn't much difference. The V&H Long Shots actually hurt my ears, the sound has some shrieking quality to, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to replace them :) (the other reason was in order to fit fairly large bags, equal size on both sides).

I have added the before and after pics :).

Kind regards, Wim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Looks really nice, wimg. But I'd want mine in black. :)
<ROFL>

There is a black version too, AFAIK :).

Kind regards, Wim

P.S.: I was really impressed with the quality of this exhaust. Better than the V&H actually, if you'd ask me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts