Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get a feel for how long on average you've been riding a 650cc. I'm a big guy 6'1, 230lbs and everyone says I'm going to outgrow my 650 in a year.

However, I've been riding a 50cc for 7 years, so compared to that 650 is alot of bike.

I'm thinking about riding it for about 8 years. Then my son will be old enough for a bike and I'll trade up. Is that a ridiculous thought?

So let's go your
Height:
Weight: (I guess you don't have to for females :))
Number of years on 650:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man, you're asking all the hard questions!
Not because of pressure. I'm sure I bought it for my own motives, and will eventually trade up for my own motives. Actually I was about to buy a larger Boulevard from the dealer, and watched a young guy sit on it, and say he'd take it. So the 650 was the fall back.

I'm doing quite a bit of highway riding, and expect that to continue. I think a larger bike will be better for that. I'm practicing u-turns in the road, and other low speed maneuvers every time I ride, and I expect that will equip me for a bigger and heavier bike.

Otherwise, I have no idea why! But thanks for making me think about it.

Rod

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest reason for a trade up would be dimensions. My legs are just a bit to long or too big around or both. I use mine as a commuter mostly and for that it's not bad.

I figure I'll get highway pegs on the crash bars so I can stretch out on the highway. It just seems like every says you will trade up or skip the 650 range completely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My legs are a bit of an issue. Some times my hips will cramp, and it feels I'm having to raise my feet too much to get on the floor boards. I tell myself it's from doing a lot of bicycle riding, but maybe I'm fooling myself!

The seat is original (I believe). I've used a pad, and being up a little higher is more comfortable. From what I've read, Mustang seats etc generally are lower, which would seem to be worse on my legs.

Would a bigger bike feel better? I have no idea.

By the way, B.C. must be pretty deserted in the winter. Southern Arizona fills up with B.C. plated cars all winter!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the snowbirds fly south for the winter. It's not that bad here actually, pretty rainy but barely any snow.

I sat on a kawasaki 900lt and it felt pretty good. Compared to my vstar the foot controls like it was a mile away. Which would be good for longer rides. Def. in reach though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm 5'9 and 270lbs. I got my 650 last august and put over 2700 miles on it since. I use it to commute 25 miles each way to work, then sometimes go riding the back roads in free time.

I do plan on getting the floorboards and controls moved forward about 4".

I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon due to budget/price. I can't talk the wife into any type of payments on anything at this time. Maybe in the future I will find a nice used 950, but I was riding a 1981 honda and keeping it running for the last 10+ years, so my 2004 should last me a good while.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bought new in July 2010
6'3"
215lbs buck naked
just hitting 4 years on it at just over 18000 miles.

No REAL complaints, at 6-3 I still fit but a taller seat height would be nice. Bike seems smoother now at highway speeds (70+) than when newer. Maybe I'm just used to it. Cruises no problem at 75, that's where I keep the needle on the highway. It'll do more, had the speedo to 90 the other day, first time I'd done it. Great bike IMO. Only reason to ever upgrade to a larger CC bike for me would be if I were to start taking long trips on a bike. My 650 only gets about 37 MPG on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I rode my 650 for a total of three years before I moved up to a 950t. Im 5'-11", and 215lbs. I have fairly long arms and legs and noticed after a long ride on the 650, I began having hip and some knee discomfort. I took a ride on the 950t and noticed I had more leg and hip room and the extra power helped since I'm riding 2up a lot more. In those three years on the 650, I loved the way it handled and rode, however now that I'm taking longer trips, the 950t is much more suitable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
104 Posts
I probably have a 650 for a very different reason than most of you. I've been riding since the 60s and I got a 650 as a major downsizing from several BMWs and Asian bikes. I wanted a small bike as a backup to putter around with. I have ridden it 300+ miles in a day and it does OK for local riding like that. I have only ridden it 2,000 miles or so since I bought it last October but I have ridden my Burgman 650 over 8,000 miles during the same time period. I wanted a simply traditional bike like I had in my younger days rather than the typical gadget laden bikes of today. When I was young, the largest Asian motorcycle was the CB450 Honda that was considered hugh. The Yamaha RD350 was probably the quickest. The best thing about being retired is you can move to the mountains and ride whenever you want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 5'10", 180lbs now. Wife is 4'10", 100lbs.
I got my 650 new in '07 and quickly put 55,000 miles on it with I'd guess maybe 1/2 of that 2 up and heavily loaded down with camping gear. We were trying to ride to all lower 48 states and didn't quite make it. Those miles are with having a second bike, a 900cc BMW, that I was splitting the work commute miles between also.

I havent ridden the 650 much in 2 years but not because I got tired of it, I had to move after getting married and now work from home. My commute now consists of walking downstairs where before it was a nice daily 30 miles of mountain sweepers and now I'm in the city too where its a long boring ride of interstates and heavy traffic just to get to somewhere fun to ride, meh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only recently picked up my 650, but I plan on keeping it for some time now.

First and foremost is money. I could barely afford the bike to begin with ($1,500 is a good deal, but still a lot for some economically challenged folks like myself). I certainly don't have the dough to upgrade.

Furthermore, it looks nice, sounds nice. Mine has 65k+, so it's lasted that long, should last some more. And whereas I would absolutely more highway power, the truth is I don't necessarily "need" it.

Besides, if I had to sell my bike, I'd get rid of my 86 Savage sitting in the carport before I sold my "new"(to me) Star.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ive had mine 4yrs now

5ft7in
I have put about 4000 on it and since it is a 2000 it still only has
21000 on it does everything I have wanted it to do and love
the dependable nature it has never left stuck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts