Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
checking out the thread about replacing brake pads, got me wondering a couple of questions? i've got 8.5 thou (in 8 months) on a 09 950...i've been changing oil / filter each 3 thou...when should i expect to replace brake pads / tires? i'm up and down a 5000' hill everyday, use both gears and brakes to slow, no hard, slamming stops yet. i weight about 225 the interstate's here in calif are real crappy...should i be checking / expecting a change soon? i know these will be general answers i get, but i'll take them as they come. thanks in advance, silverwoof

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well so much depends on the type of braking and load that any check it at this mi indicator is a moot point. Look at where the pads contact the rotor. There is a groove through the center of the brake pad surface on both pads. This is your wear indicator. This is an ebay ad but the pic clearly shows the bisecting groove. Shine a flashlight on one side and look for light on the other. If no light change the pads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03-Yamaha-XVS-1100-V-Star-Class-Brake-Pads-F-R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588cf1e6efQQitemZ380321785583QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2577wt_1165

Tires are another thing. Look at the tread, about every 8" to 12" (less than 120 degrees is the law) in the grooves there is a raised bar/rib. When this bar/rib is even with the tread surface replace your tire. If in doubt wet your tire and roll it across a dry patch look for look for bars running across the tire wet marks perpendicular to the direction of travel (works best on car tires).

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
+1

On that. a good look at is always better than miles.

I would never ride a bike that I didn't know how it was going to act with the brakes in lock down:cool: I strongly implore all bike riders to learn how there bike will act in a emergency because that is not the time to find out:eek: Start out a little at a time in a safe place. BUT LEARN.
Also I change my 1100 at 12,000 miles with some left, the Yamaha shop ran a brake special and I had them changed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Go fast bikes need stop fast brakes!:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks you guys, exactly the kind of answers i was looking for. i know it's basic stuff, but i've (and i bet many more) have learned a lot of tips from you folks on this site. thanks again, silverwoof

1 - 6 of 6 Posts