Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

how many bikes owned over your lifetime?

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 3 10.0%

Votes: 11 36.7%

Votes: 2 6.7%

• 10+

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like most bikers have owned multiple bikes over their lifetime. the rational chart would probably show an increase in bikes owned over increasing years riding. how many bikes have you owned? which was your favorite? least favorite? i've had my license since 2001, bought my first bike in 2009-the 950, and it's the only bike i've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Let's see, Honda Z50, Honda XR75, Honda Rebel, Honda XR500 (seeing a pattern here? lol) then a Yamaha FZ600, and onto my current ride, a VStar 1100. As to my favorite, the Z50 was my introduction so it will always hold a place in my heart, but I outgrew it pretty quickly. As a 13 year old I had a ton of fun on that XR75 (5 of my friends had one too). The 500 was a blast in my 20s, as was the FZ. But I love my VStar too. Hard to pick a favorite - I guess it depends on where I was in life.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
Great poll. Yamaha RD 350, BMW 600, Honda 750F, 900F, 1100F (sport days), Kawasaki KZ 900, Suzuki GT 750. I think that's all I've owned. Had others on long term loan. This was were from 1972 to 2005?, I'm guessing on the 2005, that's within a year or 2. Went from 2005? to 2013 without bike. Then bought my Yamaha 1100 in 2013. Overall favorite was the Honda 1100F. Least favorite was the BMW, had no power. Would not want it now due to sport riding position. I now love my cruiser.

Forgot the Suzuki GT 380.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Two. Both current - 2002 XVS1100 Classic and 2007 BMW R1200RT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm...I think this is all of them. Honda CL350 and 2 CB 750F's, Yamaha XS650, Venture, Warrior, and Stratoliner, Buell X1, HD Street Glide. I really enjoyed every one of them. I guess I just like motorcycles.
Still have the Stratoliner and Street Glide. And yes, I wave to metric riders when I'm on the Harley, and Harleys when I'm on the Stratoliner. ;)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
3 wins!

close the poll LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
I voted "3" Bikes....

I've made my Driving License in 1984, but only for Cars. Made my License for Motorbikes in 1997. My first One was a 1997 Suzuki Intruder VS800. Bought it brandnew and sold it, when my Daughter was born in 2001.

10 Years later, I bought a 2002 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Custom. I loved that Bike. Was very reliable. Sold it also in 2015, as I also have played the Bass in a Band who has often Gigs on the Weekends...Family, a House, a Band with Rehearsals and regulary Gigs and a Job with Shiftwork....There was just no Time to ride and so I gave it to good Hands.

Meanwhile I've quit playing in that Band. I only play Bass for myself and teach some young Players... and so it goes, that I came back to Bikes, riding and my new (to me, bought it used) and wonderful Drag Star (V-Star) 650 Classic.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Rd350, Honda cb750four, 2 Visions an SX Eleven, Kawasaki Z1, Honda Shadow 650, Virago 1100, Custom 1100 and my favorite 2010 Strat Deluxe. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I think air cooled VWs should count as two motorcycles strapped together

change mine to 27!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just three bikes in the last 38 years... my two current rides, (2014 650 Custom and 2014 Honda CB500FA) and almost four decades ago my brand-spanking-new 1980 Kawasaki KH100EL which had allowed me to travel all over the province of Ontario when I was just a teen. It had single-cylinder 100cc motor that put out a whopping 10 HP! Had a top speed of about 55 mph. (with a good tailwind, that is) Check out my cool riding gear... an ancient snowmobile helmet with sexy plastic chin strap, brown corduroy pants with matching jacket, sneakers with no socks, no visor/eye protection, and no gloves.
:surprise:
Jeez, I wish I had that fun little bike today!!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
54 Posts
Started in 1969 with a 305 Honda, then RD350, XS650, Yamaha 750 , then went to the dirt. Yamaha DT175, MX100, Suzuki TM125, MX175, RM125, YZ125, YZ175, RM250 when I raced motocross in the mid to late 70s. Divorced in early 80, bought a 1981 650 Maxim as soon as they hit the showroom floor in 80. For a 650 that was a very fast bike, shifted it at 10,500 rpm, had a power band almost like a 2 stroke. Bikeless from 1988 til this year. Bought a 2001 Kawasaki 800 Classic with 7000 miles on it, didn't like it much. Traded it for my 1300 six weeks later. My favorites would have to be for the dirt, Yamaha YZ175, and for the street a toss up between the XS650 and the 650 Maxim, the Maxim was a much faster bike, but the XS handled better. I'm an old man now and absolutely LOVE my 1300, it's all the bike I can safely handle. I almost dropped my brothers full dressed Victory a couple weeks ago when he insisted that I ride it. TOO much bike for me to handle, just not strong enough. I lost the love of my life last year to cancer, and I bought the bikes this year to put the smile back on my face. We had talked about buying another bike a year before she got sick, but I told her I didn't think I was strong enough to ride a big bike double up. She suggested a trike, but I didn't want to go that way. So I bought a Corvette convertible and we enjoyed that until she was so sick to get in and out of it. I tried to drive it after her death last year but just didn't enjoy it, and it made me depressed. I'm getting better now and did get it out for the first time on July 4th. Enjoy driving it again too. but I like the bike better. Going for a ride this afternoon. :grin:

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
^ motorcycle therapy is a real thing.

My father stayed on in 1945 after the war in Germany, and bought a 1935 BMW R4. Him and his best buddy went riding thru the countryside of Germany on that 400cc thumper, when they had a weekend off. I think it was the one thing that screwed his head back on after going thru the last year of the war in Patton's 3rd army.

I have a cousin who lost his license for DWI, lost his job, and his wife divorced him. He went out to Vegas to stay with his older brother for a while. The two of them took off for a few months in a vintage HD with a side car, and rode around the SW wherever the road took them. That trip completely turned his life around - that was 20 years ago and he has been sober ever since.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
If we count a crappy little minibike in '69-'70, I've gone through 11 bikes-

’71 Suzuki TS90 R Honcho- In 1970 my dad retired from the Air Force and we moved into the piney woods of northeast Louisiana. I was 13 y/o and hauled hay that summer to pay for the bike.
’74 Bultaco 250 Pursang- I was still in high school and had saved money for this bike by working in a wood mill during the summer. I bought it from Jordan Saw and Marine, it was their sons racing bike. He was something of a regional top rider at the time. The bike was really set up well for motocross. Loved it
’77 Suzuki GS750- The only brand new bike I've ever owned. I was in college and had a decent night job running a computer room. Fun bike for a couple of summers.
’81 Yamaha XS11 Venturer- I bought this from a friend of mine who just retired from the Navy. He bought it while he was stationed in Japan and shipped it home. Full dresser, nice bike. Did some long trips on it with my first wife. Too bad she didn't fall off somewhere along the way. >:)
’85 Honda VT700 Shadow- Bought it from an older gentleman who was selling it for his son. He said that it wouldn't start and he didn't know why. He had been starting it regularly and letting it run. I sent my buddy to the gas station for a gallon of gas. Poured it in, pushed it down a hill and shazaam, it ran! Downtubes on the forks were bent and the turn signals had broken off due to a spill. I fixed it, rode for about 6 months, flipped it for profit.
’96 Honda ACE 1100- Black and chrome, looked awesome. Suffered a detached retina while riding it one day. Just great.
’01 Suzuki RM250- Holy hell what an awesome bike! It was set up for hare scrambles. My oldest son had a KDX200 and we rode like banshees through the woods and trails. He says that those are his happiest memories. Mine too!
’04 Kawasaki Concours- My only means of transportation from 2011-2015. Lost everything (house, car, kids, pets, EVERYTHING!!) due to divorce and layoffs. More faithful than my ex, got me through the hardest of times without a whimper.
’98 Honda ACE 1100- Belonged to a friend at work. Wouldn't start. I tried to help him figure it out but he got mad and bought a Harley. I bought it from him for $260. Needed a $61 ignition switch. I put some tires and bags on it, flipped for $1000 more than I had in it. My friend learned to listen to me and to try and have some patience. He also learned that if you give something broken to an old person they'll fix it. :laugh:
’07 Yamaha V Star 1300 Touring- Bought last week, nicely set up, only has 20k miles on it. My intention was to use it to make the 600 mile (each way) trip back and forth to Louisiana to see my parents. They're both in bad shape and I needed something reliable and economical to go back and forth as many times as necessary. The bike has put a smile on my face like nothing else has in longer than I can say. Can't stay off of it and I'm using it as my daily driver now. My poor Jeep must feel neglected.

Worst bike was the VT700 Shadow.
Most fun is a tie between the Bultaco and the RM250. I do love my dirt bikes!
Though I've only owned it for 5 days, my favorite bike is my '07 V Star 1300 Tourer. Before now it would have been the Connie.

·
Registered
936 Posts
3 Motorcycles. One moped. (Did not count the moped in the survey.)
I owned them in this order:
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD - (Paid $400. put $400 in Sold for $600.) Put 10 miles on it.
1979 Suzuki GS550L - (Paid $0. Put $300 in. Sold for $400) Put 3 miles.
2000 Yamaha Road Star. (Paid $1000. Put $1000. Still own.) Have put 1500 miles so far.
I think I am ahead of the game in cost of owning a bike department.

And WINNING the motorcycle therapy race. :wink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great ,now I'm going to try to remember! Started with a '61' Honda 250 Hawk, two 50 Yamahas ,a 125 Ducatti ,a 100 Cimatti ,a 650 Royal Enfield, a 500 triple Kawasaki ,a 250 Harley ,a 80 Kawasaki .Honda 305 scrambler, a Honda 305 Superhawk ,a 650 Triumph , a Honda 650 Nighthawk a Honda XL 500 and XR 650 ,a Honda CL 350 and CB175 ,a Gs 1100 BMW ,a Yamaha XT225 , Honda SL 90 and trail 90 ,and trail 70 ,a Kawasaki KLR 650 , and currently on the second V Star 650. Whew! That's ,all I think.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Great ,now I'm going to try to remember! Started with a '61' Honda 250 Hawk, two 50 Yamahas ,a 125 Ducatti ,a 100 Cimatti ,a 650 Royal Enfield, a 500 triple Kawasaki ,a 250 Harley ,a 80 Kawasaki .Honda 305 scrambler, a Honda 305 Superhawk ,a 650 Triumph , a Honda 650 Nighthawk a Honda XL 500 and XR 650 ,a Honda CL 350 and CB175 ,a Gs 1100 BMW ,a Yamaha XT225 , Honda SL 90 and trail 90 ,and trail 70 ,a Kawasaki KLR 650 , and currently on the second V Star 650. Whew! That's ,all I think.
I did the same sir. Good thing it was a slow day at work. :smile:

Lordy I always wanted an H1 or H2 Kawi triple but probably a good thing I didn't.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One moped. (Did not count the moped in the survey.)
Damn, I forgot about the moped (must've repressed that memory lol) Add a '78 Puch to my list!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did the same sir. Good thing it was a slow day at work. :smile:

Lordy I always wanted an H1 or H2 Kawi triple but probably a good thing I didn't.
Yea It wasn't an easy bike to ride , think of explosive horsepower that came on ALL AT ONCE on a real ill handling and very flexable frame ! Got my adrenaline going more times than I like to think about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One moped. (Did not count the moped in the survey.) [/QUOTE said:
Mopeds count? Had an old Sachs when I was 15. Totally looked like a motorcycle, but definitely performed like a moped. :). Maybe we'll count that as half?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts