Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in minnesota. we used to say that the guys wearing this stuff were wimps. my brother let me try his out and now i will never be without my Gerbing heated liner. its funny how many people have never heard about them. how many of you ride with heat? we rode up to duluth minn and it was 90 deg F when we left home. got to the north shore and the temp dropped to 62 deg F. pulled out the liner and it was pure heaven. got mine on Ebay and paid half price for it. how many of you bike riders use heated jacket liners?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Heated liner

I do not have one yet but I keep threatening. I believe it is the way to go. Wonder how you plug it in? I installed a lighter plug receiver on a pig tail under my seat for GPS, Cell phone, Etc. That would work well for the heated liner. I ride down to 50 degrees now with windshield, lowers, chaps and leather coat.

The biggest key is keep air out of your cloths, up your sleeves, neck, or up your, back. After that the heated vest will keep the main core of your body warm. According to the Discovery channel that is key to keeping the extremities warm also. You just feel better if the main core is warm. I always see a lot of talk about heated cloths this time of year. Many focus on the hands and feet because that is often where you feel cold first but the jacket liner will help keep them warm also. Hunters need one too. I guess you can buy battery operated liners now too. I sometimes use chemical hand warmers inside my coat.

About 90 watts, no problem for your generator.

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Gerbing came with the lead to the battery. or group runs the lead so it comes up between the seat and tank. looks like a little weiner. i point out my bikes little weiner to the chicks all the time. lol. the lead bolts directly to the battery. you will need to buy an on/off switch or the adjustable reostat unit but it is 70 bucks the switch is 12 - 15 bucks. the collar, arms, front and back are all heated. i have the on/off switch so it runs wide open. i would say 110 deg F. i like the heated collar. its like a heating pad on your neck, yeah same heat as a heating pad on high. not sure if lighter plug is big enough. the liner i have is 77 wats or 6 - 7 amps. coldest i rode this year was 35 - 45 and it was cold even with the liner. legs get cold even though core is warm. need headed chaps, lol. do you have wind defectors on yours? i get wind blast coming up from my shin's and blasts up under my chin, ears face. i think if that went away then cold would be no problem. do your lowers stop the rush of air?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lowers

I have Bucks Lowers. From buckslowers.com. They take care of most of that turbulence behind the windshield and blocks much of the wind on my legs. Not all of the air on my legs. The outer edge of my leg gets some wind. Lowers do add some comfort and protection to a ride specially a cold ride.

I first had a set of chrome lowers for an 1100 V Star mounted behind the rollers that mount the windshield. They were a little larger and blocked more air. But, when I installed an engine guard they hit, Bucks are cut out for the guard.

Have never seen a pair installed but Airwing makes a set that mount on the engine guard. Expensive though, $250.

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
A friend uses a chest liner that also connects to heated gloves and he really likes them, he rides in below freezing weather on a regular basis. cost about 200 for both gloves and chest warmer vest

my jacket has insulation, i add scarf and long johns and i got a cheap pair of heated gloves i wear, i ride in low 40 weather, not too bad, need to wrap sleeves.

freezing and icy here , so not real fun riding, had to put the bike up for several months.

enjoy

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, bike put away here as well. were getting 4 - 7 inches of snow tonite. heated liner would feel good when i plow with the atv tomorrow. i'll have to get the lead from the battery so i can get the quad up to speed with my Strat.
ATV is Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4, i like my yamaha's. i got a 1972 Yamaha RD350 also. "The Giant Killer". no heat on that one.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
40 is my total cut off temp, even then I look like the Michelin Man, long johns, layered up, all the leather I got, plus an Artic mask, sort of takes the fun out of it, some. 50 is better, 60 better yet, 70+ is more like it. Nights here now are teens-20's, highs maybe 30's, with worse yet to come, hate it. Try to get a day in where I can all winter long, never put her up for good till spring, no ridin is a total bummer! Ride Free, Ride Safe.........:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.