Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I've done so in the past. There's a bike shop just north of me in Collierville Tn called the 'recycled bikers shop'. They do consignments etc. All of the used gear they sell is inspected and they do a good business with a great BBB rating. They sell new items as well, so yes I'd buy used from reputable business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry, as far as my head is concerned I would always buy new. At least with a SNELL rating. I have heard the ECU Rating is also good. Much better than a DOT one. I have no faith in one regulator of helmets and least of all DOT.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I would agree there, anything I've bought used had either snell or ecu rating. They are better than the standard dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, but I'd put the purchase of a used helmet in the same group as me buying a used ham sandwich. Wouldn't touch either one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Someone recently told me that you should replace your helmet every 2 years. I didn't look but he said there is a date stamp on them. Every 2 years even if it never hit anything. Something about the padding breaking down. I live in a state that doesn't even require a helmet. Personally, every 2 years is a little rich for my blood but I guess you have to look at the consequences.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
when my helmet starts to loosen up i buy a new one usually about every 3 years, i think the padding breaks down and makes the helmet loosen up, i'd like get one you can pump up with air like i had when i played football

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This one time, I was trying on helmets at the local shop, and there was makeup all smeared over and in a helmet I was considering trying. - Haha.

I would only buy new.

I'm a girl who had her head in a helmet almost every day! I'd like to know my face was the only one rubbing all on, in, and around the interior. :p

·
Registered
346 Posts
Someone recently told me that you should replace your helmet every 2 years. I didn't look but he said there is a date stamp on them. Every 2 years even if it never hit anything. Something about the padding breaking down. I live in a state that doesn't even require a helmet. Personally, every 2 years is a little rich for my blood but I guess you have to look at the consequences.
I have also heard 4 or 5 years.. Depends on who you talk to I guess.

My current Helmet is a Scorpion Exo 500 that I have had about 4.5 years I think... So it is on the chipping block to get replaced soon. Probably with another one just like it. I have been very happy with it and I like the air pump for the cheek pads and the drop down sun shade inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts