Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

How much do you effect your bike's carrying capacity?

• Under 120

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 120 to 149

• 150 to 169

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 170 to 189

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 190 to 209

• 210 to 229

• 230 to 249

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 250 to 269

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 270 to 289

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 290 to 309

• Over 310

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been resent posting about bike weight effects on fuel mile. So my question is:

How much do you effect your bikes load capacity?

Below is the carrying capacity of most bikes that comprise our site. These numbers were taken from the owners manual of each bike. The closer you are to carrying capacity the less fuel mileage you will get.

I'm not asking for you to tell us your weight, just enter the correct response in the poll. Be truthful. So eat a smaller dessert before jumping on the scales.

V Star 650: depending upon the model, 392 lbs to 441 lbs;
V Star 950: 463 lbs.....950T: 419 lbs;
V Star 1100: 441 lbs
V Star 1300: 463 lbs.....1300T: 419 lbs
Roadliner: 463 lbs.....Stratoliner: 410 lb
SVTC: 408 lbs

·
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've actually lost a few pounds since moving from being outside more in this heat. I haven't been on scales since moved here much, not actually liking what I see. Think I'd better start eating 2 or three desserts.

• Haha
Reactions: kje54

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Les ... I loathe guys like you who just stick your body frame's weight. (Ok, call it jealousy.)
That said ...
I look at what the manufacturer gives for weight capacity. For argumentative sake, we'll say on my bike is 475lbs. And we'll say I am 175lbs, (I wish).
That means I have 300lbs of additional weight for another passenger &/or gear. So I add a lady friend at 150. That leaves me 20lbs for my gear and 130 for hers. A given is, I add this gear load properly.
I look at it as I am maxing out the capability of my bike if I do that. So I need to rethink things. Such as ... Lose weight? Get a bigger bike? Get a smaller lady friend? Look at a trailer for my bike?

·
14,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s actually interesting how low the manufacturers carrying weight is in most cases. The one that surprised me when I looked it up was the SVTC, has such great storage, but they are saying don’t use it. My point to this, most are at half or slightly over the carrying capacity once they sit down. I’m sure it’s all related to the Gross Vehicle Weight compared to tire rating.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Just looked up my year & exact model.
2000 RS Silverado max weight is 399 lbs, and the regular or other RS's same year are 432lbs.
I will guess that's because I have hard saddlebags?

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
I've actually lost a few pounds since moving from being outside more in this heat. I haven't been on scales since moved here much, not actually liking what I see. Think I'd better start eating 2 or three desserts.
You can always open "Blankenship's Fat Farm and Health Spa" and have those of us that want/need to lose a few pounds pay to do your chores for you under your supervision........(not sayin' I'd do it......) :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: lesblank

·
14,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
14,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked up my year & exact model.
2000 RS Silverado max weight is 399 lbs, and the regular or other RS's same year are 432lbs.
I will guess that's because I have hard saddlebags?
You are correct. There's a difference between the Venture and the TC, has to do with the way bike is originally equipped, the more stuff, the lower the capacity.

Rectangle Font Magenta Art Circle

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the 650 can carry more than the Stratoliner.

Reactions: doccuke

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Says mine is 421 pounds, unfortunately I make up more than half of that but I'm working on it. Just got done with my exercise routine and now it's time for a little ice cream treat.

And maybe a bag of chips.

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,101 Posts
Since I carry around 20 lbs of protective gear, I also added that, like VStarArizona.

The limits for load carrying capacity is set by tire load index, wheel strength, suspension capacity, frame strength and how the manufacturer observe the handling when the bike is loaded. Hence the substantial, but low powered V Star 650 is considered to be able to carry a relatively big load.

There are motorcycles made for two-up riding that cannot legally support two 150lb adults. And there are lots and lots of motorcycles loaded with two f..., er, substantial individuals plus luggage plus chrome crap plus extra lights and whatnots that are massively over the allowed GVWR. The original Honda Gold Wings had a load capacity of 330 lbs if memory serve. That is without fairing or luggage. Basically, hardly any Gold Wing 1000 have been ridden legally 2-up.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
819 Posts
Says mine is 421 pounds, unfortunately I make up more than half of that but I'm working on it. Just got done with my exercise routine and now it's time for a little ice cream treat.

And maybe a bag of chips.

Been getting my groceries deliver by Walmart.. anyway, I added paper towels to my order as usual, but they were out of stock. Found a larger one available and ordered that. They ended up shipping from Florida to Arizona with tracking, took 5 days and meandered across the country with 3-4 stops on the way :oops:

All for a package of paper towels 😁😆

Also, their policy is, if they are out of an item but they have a similar item, they will give you that at the same price. Soooooo i ordered the "great value" potato chips 13 oz and they gave me those exact chips you showed, the Lays wavy chips 13 oz, at the same price.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Been getting my groceries deliver by Walmart.. anyway, I added paper towels to my order as usual, but they were out of stock. Found a larger one available and ordered that. They ended up shipping from Florida to Arizona with tracking, took 5 days and meandered across the country with 3-4 stops on the way :oops:

All for a package of paper towels 😁😆

Also, their policy is, if they are out of an item but they have a similar item, they will give you that at the same price. Soooooo i ordered the "great value" potato chips 13 oz and they gave me those exact chips you showed, the Lays wavy chips 13 oz, at the same price.
Since my peter rooter last year I've been using their pickup service so yes, I'm familiar with their policies. I frequently order the Walmart brand and get the name brand as a replacement for the same price. So far I've never been shorted but have ended up with items I didn't order. Once it was two large bunches of bananas........ I hope my neighbor enjoyed them, I'm banana intolerant, damn things tear me up.
Haven't done the delivery service mostly because I like getting out and it gives me a reason even though I have to contend with "the drivers of Walmart........"

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
I guestimated my "normal" load, including all the junk I wear and carry around in the bags/trunk comes in a little more than 1/2 of the bike's rated load. I'm quite sure when I load up for a 2 week 2 up haul we are busting the total load capacity, but not by a huge amount. When I pile two bags on top of the trunk the bike does seem to get a little top heavy and I can't corner as hard as I do 1 up, but I don't corner as hard when 2 up anyway just because I don't think she enjoys that as much as I do.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My Roadmaster has a capacity of 476 pounds and let’s just say I don’t leave a lot for gear and passengers even though I have loaded it beyond the GVWR and it still handles, accelerates and brakes freaking awesome. Much better than the R* did even with the road wing rear shock upgrade. I still enjoy riding one up though as it’s more comfortable and does perform better. I should lose some weight though and that would make it even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts