Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked a good many times.

But how do you determine how much gear whine is normal ?

Only in 5th gear ?

Are the 650's known for this whine in lower gears too....

I just wonder if what I hear is typical or something headed toward failure....

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get o lot of noise when at idle but dont notice unless i listen for it. Other than that the pipes drown out all noise unless im doin 70 in fifth. Almost sounds like a whirring/chirping sound. Very subtle and first thought it was my helmet makin a little racket.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this sound is tied directly to the forward movement.

At idle sitting still you hear nothing but engine. At any speeds above
20 to 25 mph the gear whine starts to become louder.
Letting off the gas in gear clutch out will lessen the whine.
Rear case has been serviced recently. Ride seems normal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know how to tell you how loud mine is in mechanical terms, but I have long drag pipes on my 1300 tourer and I can easily hear the whine over the pipes at anything over 35-40 MPH. It definitely is gearbox/tranny because it is not there at a stop. I am not too experienced with Yamaha bikes having just purchased mine last fall, but everything I read in forum posts online says that it is normal. I asked the salesman at the dealer I bought it from (bought it from him privately - very nice guy) and he said that is typical of Yamahas. Asked the mechanics at the dealer near where I live (where I got the 16K service done) and they said the same thing. They test rode it when it was in for service and said that there was no concern and that the whine is typical in the Star bikes. That was good enough for me.

Sometimes I feel like it is too loud, but everyone around me is telling me that it is normal and not to worry about it.. so I don't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 650 makes that sound pretty much out of second onwards... I call them my "birds" lol! I keep wishing I could modify my exhaust to drown out that sound with something a bit manlier hehe I assume that's why they say the 650 sounds like a sewing machine.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well all these comments make me feel better anyway. So most likely what I hear is normal and no cause for concern.

If something was tearing up it must be one god awefull sound to witness in person....

Trying to listen to my stereo is being drowned by this "Cry Baby"
Whining away under me. I'm working on putting speakers in my full face helmet to let me the hear the rear two channels through my helmet. And still have the front two channels on the speakers up by the handlebars.

Thanks guys, at this point I don't think anything is wrong but the sound kind of bothered me for some time now.

jake :) :D:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, first time I rode the bike after I got it from my brother, I thought something was seriously wrong lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts