Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to inspect my rear brake pads today. After determining all looked good I put the pads back in and bolted the caliper back on to proper torque spec. I pumped the rear brake peddle a couple times and Im finding I can still wiggle the caliper around. Not alot but some. I dont recall it wiggling before but honestly I never thought to try before. Is it normal or do you think Im over looking something?
06' Roadliner S

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
How much is the rear brake caliper supposed to wiggle? ZERO!

I just checked the front and rear calipers on my Royal Star (the same calipers are used on all vstar bikes).

I cannot move either one at all. If you can wiggle the caliper body something is not right

its possible you took the fender off, or something else, and got the bolts mixed up?

you can either goto bikebandit.com and look up the OEM exploding drawings for the brake caliper, and it will tell you what bolts go with it

DO NOT ride the bike till you get this fixed. having a brake lock up will throw you to the asphalt with a vengence.

BTW use a torque wrench on the bolts, do not keep cranking down on them if they do not snug up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it would just stop raining I could take it out slow to see what it does. It may very well be in its normal state just not sure.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
you are mixing up words a bit and Im not sure what you mean

nothing is attached to the brake rotor - the rotor is the disk that spins and the pads squeeze onto

its possible the floating part that holds the pads might be a little loose on the pins

as long as the body of the caliper (the part with the brake line) is solidly attached to the swing arm you should be ok.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my bike the brake line goes into the easily removable part of the rear caliper. The body is (your right not on rotor) but has a solid attachment at swing arm. It is this easily removable part that has some wiggle. It is floating on pins which leads to think it may be normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my bike the brake line goes into the easily removable part of the rear caliper. The body is (your right not on rotor) but has a solid attachment at swing arm. It is this easily removable part that has some wiggle. It is floating on pins which leads to think it may be normal?
Are you saying the brake pads/shoes are loose between the caliper and rotor?
The part that squeezes the pads its wiggling slightly. The part of caliper that this parts pins go into is solid.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The caliper does float on the Stratoliner, as long as the pins are tight and it pumps up so the pads are tight against the disk when you stop it is good.I just put new pads on the rear a couple of weeks ago when we got our stimulus check.I kept the old ones in case something bad happens and I need an emergency brake pad ( the worse one still had an 1/8th inch of pad left)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts