Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on line looking for some gel seat pad options and saw a good many that were gel based and some that were air filled.

If your currently using one of these please chime in.

Or if you have used one in the past give us your take on how it performed, held up , etc.

RestoRider:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
By the seat of my pants

I haven't used a gel seat but I hear the problem with them is that they get really hot. I've used an Airhawk but only once. I know that some people really like their Airhawks, but I didn't care for it. I think I adjusted it correctly, but I prefer more stability than the airhawk gave me. If you're still using the stock seat, you may consider an aftermarket seat like a Mustang or a Sargeant. My Mustang is pretty good.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So I was on line looking for some gel seat pad options and saw a good many that were gel based and some that were air filled.

If your currently using one of these please chime in.

Or if you have used one in the past give us your take on how it performed, held up , etc.

RestoRider:D
I was not happy with the Ultimate I ordered, and am sending it back. I am now trying an Airhawk R pad, ordered from RevZilla. Only 20 miles of seat time, but so far, I like it. I have learned that there is a wide range of what people like in motorcycle seats, so it truly is personal. Most like the Ultimate…it is soft and you sink down into the seat somewhat. I hated that feeling. IN comparison, the Airhawk raises you up off the seat, which I do like, as long as it does not cause too much buffeting. What I like about the Airhawk, others may despise…it does give you a bit of a sensation like sitting on a balloon. I can see why others say they like more stability than a pad can offer, but it is not really an issue for my comfort. Again, very personal preferences here.

I have noticed most of the aftermarket seats tend to be banana-shaped compared to the flatter stock seat. If you like that low, "in the bike" feeling, you have many choices. If you like to sit on top and have a flatter, more expansive cushion area, I would go with a pad or have Mean City Cycles modify your stock seat because I have yet to see an aftermarket seat that does not give you the traditional "in the seat" design for a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was impressed with the features of the airhawk design.

At under $70 it seems like a nice upgrade to the more than x4 or even x5 more expensive aftermarket seats.

I do not need the passenger portion of the seat and solo options are not as common but out there for sure.. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use a propad gel pad on the stock seat of a 1300 Deluxe. I also added one for the passenger seat. My wife loves it.

No more numb butt. To me it is not any hotter than sitting on marine vinyl or leather. I try to put it away if the motorcycle will be sitting in the sun.

It was money well spent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sales fellow at IronPony really recommended the Air Hawk. Said the gel pads get hot and eventually get hard. I put an Air Hawk II on my 950T - rode over 6000 miles last month. NO sore or hot butt (and it was over 100 some days).

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baldy, I really like the Airhawk II I'm 90% sure it will be the one I purchase.

Thanks for your input... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts