Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all. How much of your motorcycle maintenance do you do? What do you do and what do you pay the 'experts' to do.

My ulterior motive is to figure out what a non-mechanic can handle in their own garage. I've always done my own oil changes, but would like to do more of the other maintenance (3.3 mechanic hours at $100/hour every 4K miles is getting old).

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I used todomuch of my own maintaining, but now I have
my local dealer do it all. Ibought the bike with a mainrainance
package. So for 20,000 miles I have had to payno extra.
with fuel injectionand all the intricate new stuff I have
Found it easier to let theexperts do it. I think that would
make any warrsnty issues easier to handleshould they
Comeup.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The hell of it is, the dealer may be trusted just fine, but he has a snot nose kid that could not care less about your bike workin on it:eek:

I do at least 95% on mine, it ain't that tough if you can read and turn a wrench:)

Good luck(save some big bucks) Have fun, Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am like Sugar bear. Valves, brakes my own tires. Even the rear shock spring with a crappy tool ( I should have paid someone on that one lol)
The local dealer here once screwed up my carbs and marked the frame on a first oil change for a ZX6r. I have even had guys get there carbs sync by the dealer then come to see me to get it done right ( sportbike days)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've only done an oil change and gear oil change thus far. Did it with hand tools in my drive way. *shrug* I guess the only thing I wouldn't attempt is an actual tire change/mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do all the maintenance I can on my 1100. With shop rates as high as they are it only makes sense to me to do it my self. With all the info available on the net thiers not much I wouldn't tackle.Knowing how my bike works inside and out and how to repair it makes riding even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've always done my own maintenance on all my vehicles. Babe is due for new tires but i'm feeling lazy . . . I saw a used Road Star at the dealer the other day . . . hmmm . . . ?:confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I never used to do anything but lube the chain on my old bike. This time around I found a local shop that rents out warehouse space with all the tools and equipment at pretty much whatever rate you can afford (lifts, tire mount/balance machines, the works). They also teach basic maintenance classes a couple times a month on various topics from changing the oil to changing a wheel or tensioning the chain correctly. I plan on taking lots of classes and learning it all! If I ever get time off work. *sigh*

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'm just the average shade tree mechanic, oil, brakes, light bulbs, grease, battery, belt tension, spark plugs,,,the stuff that isn't brain surgery. Or to SugarBear's point, all the stuff the service dept. gives the snot nose to do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do as much as physically possible myself. Mechanic by trade so, it's just another day with dirty fingers. There a re very few tasks I won't sink my hands into. I go to local shops and dealers for those I am not equipped to do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys stick with the owner's manual service schedule? Which seems to be pretty much everything every 4K miles. Or can some stuff be done on a less frequent basis? (I actually change my oil and filter every 3K, but...)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never used to do anything but lube the chain on my old bike. This time around I found a local shop that rents out warehouse space with all the tools and equipment at pretty much whatever rate you can afford (lifts, tire mount/balance machines, the works). They also teach basic maintenance classes a couple times a month on various topics from changing the oil to changing a wheel or tensioning the chain correctly. I plan on taking lots of classes and learning it all! If I ever get time off work. *sigh*
That sounds awesome, haven't been able to find anything like that locally. You can take a course online from several 'schools' in motorcycle repair/maintenance. Don't know how much you could actually learn from a distance in this subject.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The hell of it is, the dealer may be trusted just fine, but he has a snot nose kid that could not care less about your bike workin on it:eek:

I do at least 95% on mine, it ain't that tough if you can read and turn a wrench:)

Good luck(save some big bucks) Have fun, Ride Safe:cool:
Yeap, i'm with you Sugar Bear

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like to do absolutely every bit of maintenance that I can on my own. Both from a saving money point of view, and a pride point of view. Plus, it's a good excuse to expand my tool collection.

I had to punt on my recent rear tire adventure and get the tire swapped at a local shop, but getting the wheel on and off wasn't too big a deal.

Bevo, I haven't done the valve adjustment on my bike yet (haven't gotten to the mileage where it needs it), but it was one of the first things I did on my girlfriend's 650 when she bought it last year. There are a lot of parts that have to be removed in order to reach the valves, but once you get to them, it's not any harder than adjusting a clutch cable. Just pick up a set of feeler gauges before you tear into things. It's a time consuming job (and and important one to get right), but it's a pretty easy one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dseidel I am in Saskatoon and ride and 1100 as well. I would like to learn to do more work on my bike myself. I would like to put a Dragonsbreath kit on it. If you would be interested in helping that would be great. I have done carb work on 2 stroke dirtbikes but never anything like this.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm lucky that I have a good mate who's a great bike mechanic. I had it serviced last week and now know how to change my oil and filter, lube my cables, the simple things. Next service will be a bit more complex, so I'll learn some more.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dseidel I am in Saskatoon and ride and 1100 as well. I would like to learn to do more work on my bike myself. I would like to put a Dragonsbreath kit on it. If you would be interested in helping that would be great. I have done carb work on 2 stroke dirtbikes but never anything like this.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy, I too did plenty of work with two stroke carbs years ago in my motocross days. I found that in reality, a carb is a carb. Just get a Clymers manual, follow the steps for removal and replacment, and you're golden. I was very hesitant at first, but after I just dove into it, I found there's nothing to it. Just don't force anything. Take your time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I do all of my own maintenance, I only use the stealership for tires. The only time I used a motorcycle Mech. was when I had an electrical issue that I couldn't trace down :confused: ended up the repair manual was wrong :mad: and the only manual that showed the right wiring diagram was the Honda service manual. Other than that I do mine own, and am very thankful that I can.! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts