Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and found you all as i was researching the transcontinental because i am thinking about buying a 2018 model. Let me get right to my question i want a ride that is smooth going over bumps. If anyone can compare the ride to the Indian roadmaster i would appreciate it. I'm now on a Kaw Voyager and when i test rode the Indian it was like getting out of a jeep and getting into a Cadillac. I understand most everything else about the bike but i won't really know how smooth it is until i test ride one and that means traveling out of state to do that and not coming back the same day so i thought i would get some opinions on it. I do understand a lot more goes into the decision before buying a bike but at my age the smoothness is top of the list. Ive been riding since 1973 and comfort is very important. So has anybody had the opportunity to ride the roadmaster? Thank you Mike.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
We share some similar experiences. I had a 07 Nomad for 11 years and put 80,000+ miles on it. As a retirement gift to myself in 2017 I rented a 2015 Roadmaster and the wife and I did a 3 day guided tour in Mississippi and Louisiana. We were both impressed by the creature comforts, ride and performance of the Indian. After that tour I was informed that any replacement for the Nomad had to have a pillion seat as good as the Roadmaster. We were in the market for a new ride in 2019 and she sat on the Voyager pillion and said "no". She sat on the SVTC and we now own it.

I find the engine nearly vibration free and the suspension does a very good job with expansion joints, lane reflectors and general road surface anomalies. It tracks rain grooved pavement a little, but I think most bikes do and it isn't a showstopper for me. Once I got used to the lower seat position and overall ergonomics of the SVTC as compared to the higher seating position of my Nomad, I find I have a much easier time handling the much bigger SVTC than I did with the Nomad. Likewise, I find the ride quality, tractability and creature comforts of the SVTC to be superior to the 07 Nomad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply i did go to Maine the last couple of days and had the chance to ride a SVTC and the ride was better than what i ride now and passanger seat was much more roomy that my voyager. I like it BUT the 4500 limiter surprised me and i don't like that at all. I had Ivans reflash done to my Voyager and it made a new and better bike and i see he also has it for the SVCT and raises the limiter to 5500! Now that's doable for me. Has any one here had the reflash from Ivan done on their bike?

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
I have not done Ivan's and don't think I will consider it until end of warranty. Maybe not even then because, except for the rare low end near stall I'm pretty happy with the engine. The low red line doesn't bother me as I am rarely in a big hurry to get anywhere. But that's just me, of course

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The RPMs stay low and don’t increase much even when getting on I t. It has enough raw power even in high gear to pull the bike.
Some have changed the mufflers to the Tab and installed a power commander, you can get this on the Tab site.

This guy did an Ivan flash.

I have done neither, yet…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts