Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump. this really changes the look of the bike, and you can krylon it, or put stickers on it, a neat area to customize.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very nice, I think I'll see what we have around the shop at work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe it's just me, but i think it really cheapens the look, at least what this guy did
yeah, i coulda got groovy with it and laid out some lines & did more.
but, it's the wifes bikes, and she knows where the air tools are, if she wants mods :D hey, equal opportunity, right?

we wanted to do two things: get rid of the chrome football looking thing, and she wanted it to act as a "scoop" to grab some fresh air, and direct it on the rear cylinder head, and try to keep some air moving between her thigh and the engine. she's so short, it's hard for her to keep cool on it.

the rear cylinder was SCREAMING hot on her bike, so the air schoop idea was why i did not cut a design in it. (i'm a Dremel master :)

we put a Cobra tuner on it over the winter, but have not rode it enough to see if it cooled it off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually its a smart move. Good use of materials on hand.

I spent $100 for a 2nd BAK cover to match the BAK air cleaner , so both sides match....DUH !!!

So I commend your sense of being thrifty...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
has anyone came up with anything else?

been thinking about painting it, or milling some slots in it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haven't picked up the wife's new ride (950) yet, so I don't know that it is going to run hot. Even if I did ride it today, the three inches of fresh snow would keep it pretty cool out there I think. (-:
Just wanted to mention though that the cat in the exhaust system may be part of the problem re heat generation.
I had a cat on my '10 Ultra, the exhaust system including the header with cat were the first thing to get shelved for future consideration. New exhaust without the cat runs a lot cooler, did not affect the warranty.
Can the same be done on the 950? Any one done the header change out yet, or perhaps figured out how to remove the cat in the existing collector?
Apparently the o2 sensor(s) are before the cat, so no engine management concerns.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Haven't picked up the wife's new ride (950) yet, so I don't know that it is going to run hot. Even if I did ride it today, the three inches of fresh snow would keep it pretty cool out there I think. (-:
Just wanted to mention though that the cat in the exhaust system may be part of the problem re heat generation.
I had a cat on my '10 Ultra, the exhaust system including the header with cat were the first thing to get shelved for future consideration. New exhaust without the cat runs a lot cooler, did not affect the warranty.
Can the same be done on the 950? Any one done the header change out yet, or perhaps figured out how to remove the cat in the existing collector?
Apparently the o2 sensor(s) are before the cat, so no engine management concerns.
welcome to the forum, look at posts i started, and you may find some answers. wife had a sporty, and loves this MUCH more.

i have 2010 Ultra too, so I know what you mean.

check out this thread, basic tools, and cheap mod for more sound
http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473

stock, she could not tell if it was running if all my buddies had their harleys running. that little mod at leasts her hear the motor.

as far as heat, i put on a Cobra tuner, and it helped alot.
but the yammy is still a hot bike, according to my wife.

good luck with it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks 04ctd, read that thread on the drill out the other day. Don't know if I want to go there yet, she will ultimately make that decision. I will address the air flow concerns on the intake side. The heat however, if it is excessive, will definitely be addressed if at all possible, as I will definitely hear about that.
bevo1981 wrote:
are you asking if anyone has changed out the entire exhaust system, not just a slip on?

Yes, that is my question. I haven't checked to see if anyone supplies a cat-less header, or if the stock one can be gutted out to remove the cat. I don't know that today's cats are very restrictive anymore, but certainly the heat would be a major concern, as that is how they operate.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
i have vance & hines big radius 2-into-2 pipes on my 950 and they do not have a catalytic converter. it's a complete exhaust system. as far as heat buildup, i'm not sure about my pipes specifically since i had them covered in black ceramic before being installed. covering them greatly reduces the heat more than any chrome pipes so i can't say how much the pipes run cooler by themselves or if the absence of the converter reduces heat.

you may want to check with the law to see before removing your converter. i think there is a federal EPA law that says you can't do anything to modify or remove emissions equipment on your street vehicle or it will no longer be street legal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
bevo1981 said

"you may want to check with the law to see before removing your converter. i think there is a federal EPA law that says you can't do anything to modify or remove emissions equipment on your street vehicle or it will no longer be street legal. "

ssshhh!!!!

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
A handsome pair of bikes...looks like the left side engine covor plate (the subject of this thread) is removed. I like it without the cover anyway.
i agree they both look good. i am in the tiny minority that actually like the stock coil cover though. it gives the bike a unique and modern look and i have no plans of replacing or modifying mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bevo1981 said

"you may want to check with the law to see before removing your converter. i think there is a federal EPA law that says you can't do anything to modify or remove emissions equipment on your street vehicle or it will no longer be street legal. "

ssshhh!!!!
Hey Cops dont know what they are looking at anyway... Respectfully... Besides as long as you have a good relationship with your mechanic doing your yearly emitions test.... Buy him a six pack...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey Cops dont know what they are looking at anyway... Respectfully... Besides as long as you have a good relationship with your mechanic doing your yearly emitions test.... Buy him a six pack...
Emissions test?
:D

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
One thing cool about those covers, is that you're really not limited by anything except your imagination. Looking at the 950 set up, it looks like it would pretty simple to do something like I had on my 1100 for a little while....a couple old Harley chrome pieces and a few bolts and a couple "F" bombs....LOL Sorry...this is a lousy picture.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
****, good deal, i like that.

honestly, i have no idea why the plate was off the day that pic was took.

it's back on now, same either way, she ways

1 - 20 of 20 Posts