Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just came across this great read. what i took the most from is trail braking and how to better avoid gravel or debris when going through a curve. take a look.

A Car Turns Left In Front Of You
You Hit Gravel In A Blind Corner
You Entered A Corner Too Fast
A Car Changes Lane Into You
A Car Hits You From Behind
Your Riding Buddies Are Idiots
You Locked The Front Brake
A Car Opened Its Door
It’s Slippery!

The Most Common Bike Accident
According to the 1981 Hurt Report — the largest study ever conducted on motorcycle accident causation — alcohol is a factor in 50 percent of all bike wrecks.

How To Avoid It: Don’t drink and ride.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-common-motorcycle-accidents-and-how-to-avoid-them/

·
Registered
882 Posts
I will add that a I trail brake as part of my entry to every curve. I may hardly use the brake at all but, my goal is for the technique to be practiced and routine and, if I am a bit hot, for it to NOT be a sudden, grabby, panic move. I already have a finger on the front brake, squeezing just a bit, I've already compressed the front suspension a touch. From there, it's the same as every other control input; smooth as possible.

It will absolutely help smooth out your turning, be it a bad line you need to correct, rough road, what have you, as well as potentially save your ass if you are too hot and it will absolutely put you and your ride on the deck, instantly, if you screw it up.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Very informative. One thing I am confused on and hopefully someone can answer...on the section where it talks about entering a curve too hot. It says hang off the bike and take lean out of it. I thought (within limits) the further you leaned the bike the better it would turn. If you are going too fast don't you want the bike to turn as much as possible? Or is it referring to having the bike more upright to allow for better braking?
Now I am going to look up trail braking because apparently it is something other than what I thought. Any good articles on trail braking out there?

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-trail-braking

i think it may be referring to people that try to lean their bikes into the turn too hard to match their speed, and this causes you to lose contact patch and the rear end to slide out from under you. i found that section a little confusing as well. still don't know what they mean by "hanging off", but the main point i got from that paragraph was not to over-adjust or make a big counter-change against the course the bike is already taking.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks, I found a few articles yesterday but will give this one a read as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is how I understand it. If you are going into a left hand turn you can lean your body to the left and that will actually let you make the turn with less bike lean. Much like motorcycle racers do. If you lean your body to the outside you would need more lean from your bike to make the same corner.

So if you go into a corner hot you can lean your body deeper into the corner which lets you push the bike a bit more into the corner. This should let you turn a tighter corner.

Take it slow at first when trying it. Depending on the bike it can feel like you are falling off.

Chris

https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-trail-braking

i think it may be referring to people that try to lean their bikes into the turn too hard to match their speed, and this causes you to lose contact patch and the rear end to slide out from under you. i found that section a little confusing as well. still don't know what they mean by "hanging off", but the main point i got from that paragraph was not to over-adjust or make a big counter-change against the course the bike is already taking.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Here is how I understand it. If you are going into a left hand turn you can lean your body to the left and that will actually let you make the turn with less bike lean. Much like motorcycle racers do. If you lean your body to the outside you would need more lean from your bike to make the same corner.

So if you go into a corner hot you can lean your body deeper into the corner which lets you push the bike a bit more into the corner. This should let you turn a tighter corner.

Take it slow at first when trying it. Depending on the bike it can feel like you are falling off.

Chris
Exactly.

Essentially what sidecar racers do with an extra person on the bike :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
i guess "hanging off" means hanging your body over to the side so you avoid leaning the bike over too far
Yes, that is exactly it. With sidecars you can't really lean at all on the side of the sidecar, so leaning is all you have.

It does work :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
167 Posts
When you ride a modern snowmobile, you are in a rider-forward position similar to crotch rocket (less extreme, though). A cruiser is more like an older style-sled, where you lean off to the side, with your butt cheek as a pivot point. I find leaning this way and rolling on the throttle at the apex of the turn creates a confident, fairly hard turn that avoids scraping the floorboard.

·
Registered
167 Posts
there's nothing wrong with scraping your floorboard. it lets you know you've about reached your limit you can angle the bike over and can be used as a guide for that
I hear ya, but scraping the boards always freaks me out, even when I expect it. Of course, only having done that a couple of times, perhaps I am just not used to it.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I hear ya, but scraping the boards always freaks me out, even when I expect it. Of course, only having done that a couple of times, perhaps I am just not used to it.
You do get used to it after a while :). Although I haven't scraped the floorboards on my new ride yet, I have to say. However, I only have it now for a little over 2 weeks :)....

Kind regards, Wim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts