Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see a lot of photos of the leather bags on bikes looking poor.

I thought I would share my way of cleaning and treating them.

If they are filthy as in living in a dingy basement for years, mold, water marks etc; clean them up with some leather cleaner or saddle soap, wet the entire leather to match the water marks then proceed to the mink oil treatment below.

If they are in good shape just clean them with some generic leather cleaner and a cloth to remove the bugs and road dirt.

Once clean take some mink oil, found in the shoe polish section of your local wally world. Using a sponge or soft foam cut into a 1" block, rub the foam into the mink oil and rub the bags down and be generous.

Once the bags are coated real well, back your bike out into the sun and let it sit for an hour or so. The warmer the better.

The sun will melt the mink oil and it will soak into the leather. The bags will look wet. If a dry spot appears quickly, give it another dose of mink oil in that spot.

Once its soaked in, use a microfiber cloth and just rub the excess off.

I do this twice a year.

This will not only help the leather health in the sun but will also make them water proof if you get caught in the rain.

First photo shows the foam block, mink oil and microfiber cloth. Second two are the bags and fender bib coated down sitting in the sun. I also did the seat after I took the photos.

Keep in mind, I had not wiped the excess off yet which is why you can see the mink oil swirl marks in the reflection. Once wiped down they look perfect.

Hope this helps some folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
They look brand new again. Leather Honey is what I use to condition all my leather items but the trick is do it twice a year like you said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts