Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had bike 05 650 star only 4 weeks, bought it used with 8854 miles. It back fires a lot while letting off throdell. read that if you get rid of the AIS will fix problem.Is that ture and how easy is it to do?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had bike 05 650 star only 4 weeks, bought it used with 8854 miles. It back fires a lot while letting off throdell. read that if you get rid of the AIS will fix problem.Is that ture and how easy is it to do?
Yes it's true.

Removing the system completely is a little more involved but just stopping it from functioning is easy. Down by your shifter there will be a short section of rubber hose in each of the lines. Remove the hose and replace with 4 high temp silicon vacuum caps. Problem solved and easily reversed if it should ever be necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahemsa thanks for the info, going to try it this weekend . if it works it will give me time to remove the other stuf later,,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are your pipes and jets still stock? If both are and your getting backfire, then you may have a bigger issue then the AIS.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Are your pipes and jets still stock? If both are and your getting backfire, then you may have a bigger issue then the AIS.
His signature shows aftermarket pipes and intake....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nick57, thanks good info,might just might leave things the way they are for awhile. bike runs good really enjoying it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes bike has been jetted /he gave me what was left of the kit, don't know what he put in for a jet tho. Bike seems to run good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope sorry my mistake. I think I spend too much time on message boards that I don't even "see" the signatures anymore. But yes an AIS removal took care of most of my back firing issues. That with a PMS adjustment, got rid of it completely.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Over the years, I've always felt that the stock pilots in the 650 were a bit too small. If I ever do another one, instead of messing with the AIS, I'll probably just change pilots and re-adjust the PMS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts