Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I’m a newish rider with a recently acquired 2002 V Star 1100 Classic.

I love my bike, but want to make a few additions/adjustments. Namely I’d like to adjust the friction point on the clutch, add an engine guard and saddlebag brackets, and change out the grips.

I know next to nothing about mechanics. I can change a tire/oil/filters on a cage, basic stuff like that.

I’m looking for a good at-your-own-pace resource (website or book) for V Star maintenance and modification that really starts assuming zero prior knowledge.

I’d also like to know what the favored site for ordering parts and accessories is.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure about how the moderators of this website feel concerning recommending alternate websites, but I've found alot of informational tutorials on Yamaha Motorcycle Forum.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
i didn't know much about bikes when i got mine either. but i learned mostly by just researching specific parts that i want to make sure they will fit and work for what i want. a lot of times i'll call the company and just ask one of their technicians if their part will work for my bike. most manufacturers have easy to reach tech experts that are willing to help you out.

if you want to adjust the freeplay of your clutch, these forums are your best resource. you want to add an engine guard and saddlebag brackets, just use google to find all the different kinds that will fit your bike and then just use their installation guides to put them on. as for your grips, same thing, but you'll probably need to just cut off your original grips. as for any procedures and how to's, you can always look to youtube to see if anyone has posted a step-by-step.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey folks. I’m a newish rider with a recently acquired 2002 V Star 1100 Classic.
Me, too. I bought the Clymer Yamaha V-Star 1100 1999-2009 Troubleshooting and Repair manual. It won't have much on mods, but (to me anyway) looks like a very complete manual with extensive step-by-step instructions and pictures. My local library was able to order a copy for me to borrow (before I purchased) from another library in CT.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Little reason to buy either the shop or Clymer manuals - you can download both from the Sloan Services link I posted above, free...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Little reason to buy either the shop or Clymer manuals - you can download both from the Sloan Services link I posted above, free...
Is that 17.4 MB link the same as we can buy on Amazon and other places? There is no mention of Clymer in the pdf so wasn't sure.

The other link returns an error page.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can't tell you if it's the same as what's currently on sale at Amazon, et al but it is a Clymer manual. Is it the same edition? No idea but who cares?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new member, we shot a video with a lady named magnatron, board name. This may help you when your going in to the clutch, its our first v star video but we will be doing more and will brign them if its ok

clutch replacement video, changing the springs may give a little better feel. You will still need to adjust it in the end, and i just realize we forgot to get that in the vid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts