Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DO NOT USE A HEADLIGHT MODULATOR WITH HID'S IT WILL DAMAGE THE BALLAST AND/OR THE BULB.

This is not mocking bevo at all or putting down his thread or anything remotely like that.

I personally am tired of all these people (if you installed HID without a projector this means YOU TOO!) , cagers, as well as sport bike riders installing HID's WITHOUT projectors. It's illegal either way, however, if it ever were to become legal to install aftermarket (or OEM) HID's you NEED a projector. It blinds oncoming traffic and the beam is so dispersed it's like throwing a firecracker. The projector properly projects the beam of light and is wonderful to look at.

I purchased a Retrofit Kit from TRS www.theretrofitsource.com back in January but never got around to installing it. Specifically I purchased the Sportbike Stage III Kit. After crossreferencing a bunch of parts I came to the conclusion this would fit. And so far (install not completed) it has.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927 It is only $150 for the basic set up. Personally I have seen the 35 watt and 50 watt ballasts. The difference is negligible.

For my V-Star 1300 you want the H4/9003 wire harness. I got the 4300k bulb.

Here are some pictures of the install, so far:

Removing first screw for the chrome bezel

Removing remaining two screws for the chrome bezel

Yanking the rubber grommet out as well as the bulb

Baked bucket in oven @ 250f for 10 minutes (after preheating, and leaving oven on not shutting it off when it reaches 250f). Then slowly pry off the front cover using flathead screwdriver taking careful not to break the little tabs.

The Star 1300 has this reflector thing in the center that needs to be pryed off. There are little clips you can bend back

Bend them through the bottom and after wiggling for a bit should come off

Bucket completely empty

Be careful not to scratch the inside like I did, oops.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First attempt at mounting the projector. Fits nice. Unfortunately I don't have any needle nose so I can't tighten the nut all the way down. In any case I still have to remove it again. The part I circled in red near the top needs to be cut off. This bucket isn't even all the way around. That needs to be cut to get the shroud on properly. After that is cut I will re-mount the projector and should be easy from there on.

I should have this done by the end of the week. I opted to sand off the chrome. There's no need for it since the reflector housing isn't being used as a reflector anymore. I am going to sand it down and spray paint it matte silk black. I want to stress that I tried everything and could NOT remove the reflector housing from the headlight assembly. They must have a special screwdriver to bolt down one side as there is a spot that is being held onto the assembly where you don't have access to the screws.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought a little sponge of 300 grit sandpaper and went to town. I also used my dremel with the sandpaper bit but unfortunately it cut too much and in the last picture you can see where it chipped :(

These next 3 pictures show me removing the little thing that turns the adjustment screw for the relector Left & Right. The piece was broken so it wouldn't spin properly and kept seizing. I removed it and dremelled down a slot so I could use my flat head bit on my screwdriver. Worked great!

After applying 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of satin black. So far, I think it is looking good. I have NEVER painted anything before. Pretty excited about the results so far. Not really sure what I was expecting, it's a simple black color. Also, I recommend using painter's tape or something. I just shoved paper towel down the sides of the projector so the paint wouldn't leak down into it or into the glue since I have to re-bake the headlight to get it back on and the paint might adversely affect the headlight glue.

Here's the chip.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea! Paint dried so I decided to mount the projector. Here's some shots of the reflector after the paint dried and with the projector and finally the shroud. Coming along pretty nicely, in my opinion :)

Finally, "Robot Eyeclops"

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I was crazy because the projector didn't look like it was "straight" but I wasn't. Apparently the headlight assy has a non-standard way of mounting and is skewed by about 10-15 degrees. I ended up having to chop off a little bit from the H4 plate but eventually got that done. Upon testing I noticed a horrendous yellow/rainbow light coming from above the cutoff. Apparently it's common in some cases. I emailed TRS about how to "fix" it, assuming it's even a real problem. You can see it in the first and last photo. Hopefully I'll have this remounted in few days. Unfortunately I couldn't throw it in the headlight bucket to align it because the fairing has to be removed for it to even slide on. Quite annoying! Can't remove it by myself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive been running an HID for some time now and have been in contact with those guys at TRS about this kit. I am finishing my fairing install and once I get it all squared away I will most likely post my experience with installing one of these kits on a more traditional 7" headlamp bucket. But I do agree with the need for a projector with an HID bulb as I have noticed from seeing my bike without one and a car with one, especially the cutoff part of the projector.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a shot of the hid with projector and cutoff. I have some more pictures of the install. Had to disassemble it and fix a couple things. I will take a picture of the H4 plate as well as when I JB weld it onto the reflector housing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm new to the idea of a projector HID light. I was wondering, what's the reason for the cutout? Thanks!
Semper Fi
--John

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He said cut out...Not show if he meant cut off. But yes, the cut off is lower on the left side than right as to not blind oncoming traffic. Mine still isn't right. I either have a defective bulb or something with the projector reflector bowl.

·
Registered
89 Posts
He said cut out...Not show if he meant cut off. But yes, the cut off is lower on the left side than right as to not blind oncoming traffic. Mine still isn't right. I either have a defective bulb or something with the projector reflector bowl.
Actually, now that I re-visit this, I think he was talking about where you cut out the headlamp housing to make room for the shroud.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I thought too. But what do I know :)

Basically cutting out the headlight reflector is required to get the projector to fit. The reflector isn't flat and it's curved so the projector housing won't fit in there perfectly. I suck at cutting and I dremeled it off pretty easily.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is finished but I'm having a hell of a time finding a good place to mount the ballast. I want to get it under that right cover under the tank towards the forks. Hard to explain without a picture but it's just not long enough to reach. It lights up the street though. Holy $%$#! It is tilted too high and when I hit the hi-beam (raise the cutoff shield) I can see the full view of what is like a 50 foot pole or something 30~ feet away LOL. I'm sure it's blinding people.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah. Was wondering about the rectangular cutout on the top portion of the reflector. If it's because of fitment for a circular piece into a triangular reflector, or if there was another reason. As far as the cutOFF, is that mechanical or electrical cutoff you're talking about?

I'm rooted, bitchez!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's more difficult, yes. I just don't do cutting and stuff very often so I'm slower when it comes to that stuff. Also, local guy actually saw my light output and was amazed. His PnP kit is a joke compared to an actual setup. HID lights without a projector is going to be as bright and have as much light output as a super white halogen. The beam on this went pretty far down the street, especially with the "high beam" on.

The cutoff is a shield connected to a magnet that pulls down when electricity is ran through it. So I guess technically it could be mechanical and electric :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also one thing I think I forgot to mention was the fact that the reflector housings are NOT removable on the 1300 housing for some reason. It has an extra third screw that no other headlight housing I have seen has and it is not accessible. It's like they screwed it on then molded the rest of the housing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i just gotta say, it seems like your projector install has been about 10x more difficult than the regular HID install for everyone else
The projector install is quite a bit more challenging than just putting in a bulb and mounting a ballast, as you can see in my thread with a normal 7" lens, but, the output is outstanding without blinding other people with the additional focused output. In the end, it gives us a chance to tinker around on our bikes, and thats always fun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While working on my horn I relocated my ballast. Pretty happy with how it turned out. The ballast isn't going anywhere.

On a side note I can't leave that clamp there for the amp going to my fairing. Need to change out the wiring and move it up some. It interferes with me locking the handlebars to the right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have to ask as I have been wanting to do this for a while. I already have their Morimoto 55W 6000k Low Beam kit I was going to put in my Armada, then I rolled it 4 times the day I received the box... So I have a brand new one just sitting here.

I'm about to go with the Stage 1 55w Kit, but if you had to do it all over again, what parts would you change when you ordered it? I want to go with the projector in 55w, I don't care if 35w is not that much of a difference or not, but I also want to get the LED Angel Eyes. What size did you go with? Do you think that you went too big and that's part of the problem? Let me know. I'm about to order this very soon!

Also, if anyone wants the dual 55w Morimoto kit that I haven't even opened, let me know. It's for the 9006 pigtail harness which is most vehicles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts